6. Avoiding Armageddon

Kisrty's POV:

"What is it Loni's talkin' 'bout?" I ask, sipping on soda.

"Kirsty, I can't talk right now, we just need to get a move on. Barricade all the doors leading outside except the one from the shooting range. Then grab everything you need on a daily basis and take it to the panic room. Then, get as much food as you can and throw it in there," he pauses, turning around to jump into action, but he turns bak around quickly to me, "Oh, and tell Alfred to get his slow ass in the panic room first. I know you'll finish all this crap before he even gets there," Sam says, running away down a corridor.

When I answered Sam's phone, Loni said Jane started Armageddon. What does that mean? What's Armageddon? Why is Loni so worried? I grab a bunch of clothes from the large, rose-scented guest room I've been staying in. It's on the second floor.

A noise comes from the speaker, "Hey, Kirsty leave some stuff up there just in case we need a second floor to be safe on," Sam's voice buzzes. I nod my head even though Sam can't see me. Sprinting downstairs, I run into the weaponry room, pulling on the lever.

A door slides open and I scurry through, knowing time is not on our side. Throwing the items on the floor, I grab wooden boards, a hammer, and nails from a closet to barricade doors. I start with the back doors, nailing the boards across each other.

Every time Sam and I cross paths I ask, "What's going on?"

"Later," he always responds. I sigh as I barricade the last door.

I pull everything out of the drawers and put it in the panic room.

"Sam, why are we putting everything in the panic room if the whole house is safe?" I ask as we pass by each other.

"The panic room is our last resort and if whatever Jane," he says her name on disgust, "caused tries to get into the house and succeeds, our last resort will be ready."

"Oh. So what exactly happened?" I ask.

"I don't know. All I know is Jane started Armageddon and thats all I need to know in order to get ready for whatever's coming," Sam says, throwing a large package of meat in the panic room's solar charged fridge.

"A mistake Jane made is bad enough to make us prepare for Armageddon? What could possibly be that bad?" I contemplate.

"I don't know, but we just need to get ready." Sam says.

Loni's POV:

"Jane! Come on!" I yell as we run through the airport, shrieks come from behind us.

"The Experiments are back there! They've caught up already?!" Jane observes breathlessly.

"Yeah because you made them freaking superhumans!" I yell back as I sneak behind a police who walks into the back door.

"Shhhh. We can't be noticed!" Jane hisses.

"Put an officer uniform on!" I whisper as the police walks out the other exit, ignorant about our presence. Pulling my arms through the sleeves, I look at the badge. A picture of a chinese version of me sits there.

"Look," I laugh, showing her the picture.

"That was pure luck," Jane says.

"What did you get?" I ask, inspecting her badge. There's a picture of an exact replica of her on it.

"I- uh had these made for emergencies back at the office," Jane stutters hesitantly. She quickly puts the picture back in her pouch, but right before, I catch a glimpse of red eyes. Probably just a picture flaw.

"Let's go," I say, walking through the exit. The large runway stands before us, but I continue pressing on, closer to the large airplane preparing for take off. We climb up the staff stairs, into the plane.

"Hello, Officer, may I assist you?" a peppy flight attendant asks.

"The airplane needs to go in the air, NOW," I command. Her smile fades away.

"But not everyone's on-" she begins, but the urgency of shrieks rushed me.

"Ma'am, start the plane. NOW," I say, Jane lingering behind me.

"Yes ma'am," she replies, turning around and going through the Pilot's door.

"Okay, we're in. Let's sit down," I say as the stairs retract from the plane, leaving someone behind. The flight attendant closes the plane door and the engine starts. The runway remains clear as we back out.

"Good, we'll be back in America in no time," I say, but Jane gets nervous.

I look at her, "What?"

"Well, I was cast out of America, don't you think I won't be wanted?" Jane asks.

"Does it even matter?" I ask, " when there's Armageddon on the way, you're worried about America accepting you again. Glad you've got your priorities straight," I laugh.

"Oh my God, Loni," Jane says, looking through the window.

"What?" I ask. Then I look where her eyes lay. Coming through the faraway back door of the airport is an Experiment.

"GET THE PLANE IN THE AIR, NOW!" I scream, as the Experiment strings its bow.

The plane begins to speed up, slowly but surely.

We lift off into the air, right before the Experiment got a foot away from the plane. All the passengers either read books or text on their phones, unaware of the situation.

"Oh man. I'm glad that's over," Jane smiles.

"Yeah-" I say, but am cut off by the sudden drop in pressure.

"Jane, I think we're descending," I say.

"Wait, what?!" Jane yells as the people around us look at the ground that begins to come closer.

I throw myself out of the seat and run to the Pilot's chamber.

The Pilot was pinned against the wall with an arrow straight through his head.

"Oh my God."