7. Avoiding Trouble

Loni's POV:

"I've got this," I say, slow and steady, staying calm even though the ground continues to speed toward us. My hands fall on top the steering stick and pull it upward, the plane jolting up. The GPS warns me I'm not going the right way which I obviously know. I roll my eyes, pulling the stick to the left.

Jane enters the room hurriedly "What happened?! We aren't falling anymore?"

"I'm maneuvering it," I point with my left hand to the steer system.

"Oh," she says, something that sounds like disappointment creeps into her voice.

"Aren't you glad I can fly a plane?" I ask, fully aware of the sad puppy look she gives me.

"Oh no! That's not what that was about. I was just hoping we wouldn't make it to America. I just really don't want to leave France," she furrows her brow.

"Don't worry about it, Jane!" I reassure her, patting her shoulder.

"I'll try and make sure the passengers are okay," she nods her head, quickly leaving me alone with the two dead bodies she never reacted to.

I sit in silence, staring at the vast ocean beneath us. Occasionally I would stare bak at the Pilot's deceased body.

Jane walks in the Pilot's room, pale-faced. Her skin drained of color.

"What's wrong?" I ask her, knowing that look.

"Don't freak out," she takes a huge, deep inhale, more like telling herself not to freak out, "but I think there's an experiment in the storage room."

"I can't deal with that! I'm flying a plane here! Who's going to possibly take on one of those Experiments?"

Kirsty's POV:

Sam listens to the buzzing sound of his phone as I watch intently.

"Did she pick up yet?" I ask before being cut off by Sam's shushing.

"What about now?" I ask and yet again am cut off by a shush.

"She didn't pick up. Goddammit!" he slams his foot on the wall, "I knew something like this would happen if she visited Jane!"

"Don't get worked up about it, it's Loni! No one could hurt her!" I say in full confidence in Loni.

Sam gives me a death glare.

I cluck my tongue, "Now, now, now. If looks could kill..."

"Kirsty, now is not the time to be annoying," the corner of Sam's mouth twitches down.

"Define... Annoying," I smirk.

"'Annoying, the act of getting on another person's nerves.'" Sam keeps walking down the corridor of the upstairs, me tailing behind.

"Me? Well I never! I would never do such a thing! I'm not getting on anyone's nerves! Am I?" I ask innocently.

Sam takes a sharp left turn that leaves me shocked, making me accidentally hit the coffee table resting in the wall of the turn.

"Fu-!" I stop myself before I cuss a horrible word.

"Kirsty, really, go find weapons, food, supplies, anything that's necessary on a daily basis. That's an order," Sam demands. I pout as he continues down the hall. The wall full of oak wood. I sniff, my nose pointed to the air, proud and defying.

"Kirsty," Sam warns behind one of the hall's doors.

"Yes, mom," I slur the words mockingly, walking back to my room and pulling out clothes. If Sam had any wits at all he would know not to order me around. Gosh he's so annoying and commanding. I wonder how Loni puts up with him.

Oh, Loni. I really hope she's okay... I've already had enough death in my life already. My mind wanders to a memory of a familiar woman under the hands of a familiar man who stabs her repeatedly with a knife. So much crimson splattered on the floor. And what could I do, but stand there shrieking and crying. No one deserves to die like that. No one deserves to die.