Chapter fifty eight

Aliyah gasped when she finally understood what the woman was talking about. “I met Edward in the human realm and…” she paused, her eyes widening in shock. “The woman last night, she called me…” she couldn’t finish her sentences.
Irene smiled, knowing the young girl has already figured it all out. “You two started the war and Selene wants you two to end it. She created a whole new world of new creatures based on a love story and her love for a happily ever after. The only problem now is that I don’t think this is about a lost love anymore. There is something more to it, a darkness brewing in the middle of this sweet love story.”
“What are you talking about?”
“The woman last night was a witch, aye?” Irene asked. “The witches and demons have always hated Selene’s guts and they hated her creatures the most. While one feed on humans, the other was a mockery to humans and they fear that with their very existence, the humans will know about them as well and they hated it. For the past days, I have been having a vision of a man, every time I see him, he is always in darkness, wrapped up in it but never, never have I ever seen his purpose.” She sighed, “He wants you but I don’t know why. And to stop whatever he is planning, we must not let him get you for I fear that if he does it would bring utter chaos. My gut is telling me that to win this fight, all of Selene’s creatures must come together and work as one but how can that happen, werewolves and vampires hate each other to the core.”
“But, we are mated,” Aliyah said.
“Aye and to Selene, your togetherness is the end to this romantic creation of hers, but as you can see, its not going to be an easy fight.”
Aliyah nodded. “Does Edward know this story?”
“Know it? He lived it sweetheart.”
“But…he hated me when he first saw me.”
“That is because he doesn’t remember. Prince Edward has lived long enough that memories of his human life are nothing but snippets. I’m pretty sure his mind doesn’t remember Princess Mariah but his heart does hence why he was pulled to you. Your blood lured him to you and yet he didn’t feed on you. A single bite from him marked you, his heart declaring you his even before his mind accepted it.”
Aliyah placed her hand on the mark as she stared at the woman, “I have always wondered how it happened.”
Irene smiled, “don’t joke with Selene’s power sweetheart,” she chuckled. “Oh, my chicken is burning, no thanks to you little wolf,” she turned to the oven immediately and turned it off. “Well, we can still make use of it.”
Aliyah wasn’t paying attention to what the woman was saying anymore, her mind filled with the information she has received. So, she has belonged to Edward from the onset and was there in his human life? Everything sounded strange but yet the pieces were connected unlike the story in the book that left many blank spaces and cut off parts. “Can you tell me how Edward went into slumber?”
“Oh no sweetheart, I can’t tell you everything,” she smiled, “You have to ask him yourself.”
Aliyah nodded, “alright, I will ask him,” she turned to leave.
“Oh honey, Edward is long gone,” Irene said without looking at her.
“Not true, I left him in the room.”
“That’s true but he is gone now, you can see for yourself if you don’t believe me.”
Aliyah frowned, why would he leave without telling her? “But how can he leave, I am wearing his shirt.”
“Sweetheart, with how fast he moves, he would run past you naked and you wouldn’t even know,” Irene replied.
Aliyah sighed knowing that the woman was right but still, she felt a sense of sadness. She had thought that last night would bring them closer and would strengthen their bond but guess, it only happened on her part.
***
Edward went into his palace, his eyes scanning around the living room and a frown settling on his face when he perceived another scent that wasn’t Rasmus. Soon after, the said servant appeared and was relieved to see him. “My Prince, you are finally back.”
“Who was here?” Edward asked.
Rasmus locked his eyes with the man’s midnight blue ones to avoid looking at his bare chest as he wondered internally why he was without a shirt but his coat. “The high council chiefs, my prince,” he answered.
“What do they want?”
“To speak with you, my prince,” he replied. “They had left when I told them you are not around. They had told me to tell you to please allow them to see you to discuss of something important when you are back.”
Edward said nothing again and went straight to the staircase. At the foot of the stairs, he turned to Rasmus, “go to the human realm later this evening, I want you to get everything needed for a kitchen, the cooking gadgets and all those other stuff.”
“Yes my prince,” Rasmus answered although surprised when the man has made the decision.
“Good. And one more thing,” Edward said, “where did you put Aliyah’s clothes from yesterday?”
“In her room, my prince.”
Edward furrowed his brows, “move them to mine.”
“Yes, my prince,” Rasmus bowed and he told himself not to ask any question or think anything. A lot of surprises had been thrown at him within a day that he told himself to stop being surprised. Seeing that the man has taken his orders, Edward went up to his room to take a bath while trying not to think of the dream he had last night.
***
“Any luck?” Emily asked the returning men and the dejected faces gave her her answer. She sighed and shook her head, “Luna is not going to like to hear that.”
Aton sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. He watched his alpha walked on ahead without a glance at anyone. “Neither is the alpha, he has been sulking all day.”
“I can understand. What about her mind link?” Emily asked.
“It’s the only thing keeping him sane,” Aton sighed, “he could still feel her, just not communicate with her.”
“That’s a good thing then, right?”
Aton shrugged and sighed when he saw his son walking past them without even stopping to greet his mom he hadn’t seen since last night. He wanted to call to him when he felt his mate’s hand on his shoulder.
“He is hurting, Aton. They have never been apart for this long before,” Emily said.
“I know and I understand. But we are trying our best to find her, even him. We went as far as the human realm.”
“Really?”
“Yes. Alpha perceived her scent there, I did too but it was faint, too faint. Also, the dead rogue bodies told us she was there, maybe not when we got there but she was there.”
“Rogue bodies?” Emily asked, shocked.
“Yes,” Aton nodded. “But from the looks of it, I don’t think they took her.”
“How can they when he is there?”
Aton exhaled and licked his lips. “You think the union is possible?”
“You are looking at it Aton, what is not possible about it?”
“I don’t know, it’s just…” he rubbed the back of his neck, “if the High Howlers find out, hell would break loose.”
“I don’t think so.”
“Emily, this is a nightwalker, an original in fact and that makes him the starter of the war. The High Howlers won’t take it likely. They might order for her kill and wage war against the nightwalkers to kill him.”
“That’s why we won’t be telling anyone yet until we have gotten a better understanding of what is happening and how to go about it.”
Aton nodded. “You are right, but we all know who might be posing as a threat now.”
“Maximus?” she asked and Aton nodded. “Did he do something?”
“Not now but I have a feeling he would and Alpha thinks the same too. He had some people secretly watch him and let’s not forget that half of the pack agrees with him on killing Aliyah.”
“Oh God, this is bad,” Emily said, “when a pack is divided, it’s their ticket to downfall.”
“Tell me about it,” Aton sighed but he stopped talking when he saw the boy approaching them. “Future alpha Steven, is there a problem?”
Steven smiled and shook his head. “Not at all,” he said. “I just want to tell you that I would be leaving with Gerald tomorrow. Our father wants us back since he is healed. I didn’t tell him what truly happened to him.”
“Thank you, Steven, and I do hope that you won’t tell him what is going on here as well.”
“Of course not,” Steven replied and the older man smiled. “Where is Sean, I still need to win that spar before I leave.”
Aton chuckled, “I saw him go towards the training ground. That would be a good place to start.”
Steven smiled and bowing slightly to Emily, he turned and left.