Chapter nine

Edward ran home and refused to think of the stupid thing he did. Not only did he kill the human because of her, he also stayed and guarded her till she was claimed by her people. Is he growing soft or what? How could he seek revenge for a howler and also protect her? That was impossible. He hates them to the bones, he hates their ancestors. Although it has been so long and he hardly remembers most of the things that happened when he was human, he has still not forgotten the hatred that burns deep in his bones. So no matter the form they take, he hates them and he will always hate them. So why, why did he do what he did tonight?
At first, she had hurt him and rather than kill her, he helped pried open the teeth of the trap for her. And as if that was not enough, he killed an innocent human because of her. No, he shook his head, he didn’t kill the human because of her; he killed the human because he was taking advantage of innocent women, that’s all. He only wanted to rid the humans of one bad egg, that’s all. That’s the only logical explanation to what he did.
Then what about guarding her till her people came? Why did he go back to her in the first place? And most importantly, why does her blood smell so sweetly? He had killed a lot of night howlers in his life and has smelled a lot of their blood and he can testify that he felt nothing but to purge when their blood surrounds him. So why, why does hers smell even better than the humans?
He stopped in front of his castle and kneaded his temple, it was a short run but the thinking made it seem long. He sighed and stepped into his home but paused when he sensed different people. Normally, only Rasmus should be there, so why does he sense the presence of a few more walkers? He frowned and entered the big living room only to see close to fifty nightwalkers bow to him. “Welcome back, my Prince,” they chanted.
Edward watched them, he could remember he told Rasmus not to tell anyone he was awake yet and so he searched for him with his eyes and almost glared him to his grave when he found him. Rasmus cleared his throat fearfully and stood up, “My Prince, please understand that I wasn’t the one that informed them.”
“Then who did?” Edward asked.
“I did,” a voice replied and he turned to see a beautiful elegant looking woman. Her black hair was long to her waist and her gray eyes lurked on him. She was exquisite in every way and her black dress gave her a definite fair. She smiled and approached him, bowing to show her respect. “My Prince, it’s good to see you again.”
“Genevieve, you are looking more beautiful than I remembered,” Edward smiled.
Genevieve chuckled. “Well, you haven’t seen me in eight hundred years. A lot has happened and a lot has changed.”
“Indeed. Let me guess, are you still holding your title as the most beautiful?”
Genevieve laughed softly. “Well, you will have to visit the whole councils to know.”
“As the second generation, let me guess, you are among the High Council chiefs?”
“With you here, do you think that post really matters now?”
“Indeed it does for I have no interest in guiding or leading anybody. You have been doing well in the past eight hundred years and I believe that you can continue doing that.”
Genevieve frowned. “What are you saying my Prince, you are not going to join the High Council?”
“Yes.”
“But, you are an Original, by right you should be our leader like you and your men did years before.”
Edward sighed. “Like you said Genevieve, I and my men, but my men are dead and I can’t lead alone. So I will leave you, our children to take up the responsibility. By right, I should have joined them for I am tired of this life as well but as you know, I have a purpose and now that I am awake, I intend to achieve that purpose before anything else. Leading an entire clan would be a hindrance like it was for more than a thousand years, I don’t want to face such hindrance anymore.”
“But…”
“From the looks of it,” Edward interrupted, “I can see you are here as the spokesperson, so take my reply to the High Council, I will not like to be disturbed about ruling or leading. Do you understand?”
“But you are our prince, even our fathers served you, it is by right that we do the same. You will always be our only leader my Prince and we intend to follow in the footsteps of our fathers. Please reconsider my prince, as you have just awakened, we will give you some time to think about this. Also, we are hoping to host a party to welcome you back, every council will be invited. After all, you are our father and I’m sure all your children, including those who were born when you were asleep, will love to meet you. So please, do honor us this request and be our guest,” she bowed.
Edward sighed, he wanted to reject when Genevieve interrupted by saying, “with the gathering of all nightwalkers, wouldn’t that be an easier way to find your mate, my prince?” she raised an eyebrow. “The blood moon would be up in the sky in ten days, and as we all know, it is the mating ceremony for every creature. Having a party at that time and having every nightwalker in the same square, not just you my Prince but every other nightwalker will get to find their mate. We have never hosted such grand party since the originals passed because we have been saving it for you when you awake. So please my Prince, do honor us by attending.”
Edward glanced at her neck and when he saw that it was smooth and fair, he smiled, “still searching, Genevieve?”
Genevieve smiled. “Not only my prince is longing for a mate, that is why I said this grand party will favor a lot of nightwalkers.”
Edward nodded. What she said made sense. Rather than traveling through different councils and searching for one person, it would be better to have them all in the same place and with the help of the blood moon; it would be easy to sniff her out. “Fine then, I shall be there.”
Genevieve smiled, “thank you My Prince,” she bowed. “I shall take your reply back to my fellow High Council chiefs.”
Edward nodded once and waved them away, going straight to the staircase. “Take care My Prince,” he heard Genevieve say and then every other nightwalker in the room repeated it. He didn’t turn to them again and went up the stairs in an unhurried movement.
Rasmus followed him immediately to his bedroom, “My Prince, is there anything you need my help to do?”
“Draw a bath for me, I will like to take a bath. I believe I stink after not taking one in eight hundred years.”
“Of course not, My Prince,” Rasmus smiled and walked straight to the closet to bring out a new set of clothes for him from the ones they bought earlier which he had taken his time to arrange.
Edward raised an eyebrow seeing what the man was doing, “did you forget my order, Rasmus?”
Rasmus turned to him, “of course not, My Prince, you want to take a bath.”
“You haven’t drawn it yet,” Edward stated.
“Oh,” Rasmus chuckled then and placed the clothes he had chosen on the bed. “My Prince, like I told you, I have been looking after the house for five hundred years and as expected, any new thing that I feel like you will need, I always installed it for you. Right now, this is the bathroom as you know,” he rushed an opened a door that revealed a really big bathroom. There was a big garden tub inside, a big shower cubicle and a stainless white toilet. The floor was white porcelain tiles and the walls were white as well.
“This as you already know is a garden tub, I would have entirely removed it but I heard you like taking your baths in tubs so I replaced your old one and got you a modern one. Now unlike before that I need to feel it with water myself, this taps do the tricks. While this would bring out cold water,” he turned on the cold water tap, “this will bring hot water,” he turned on the tap as well. “So, I just need to turn them on to feel the tub for you. But like I said, I would have entirely removed it because to the humans, it doesn’t reign anymore. This is what the humans prefer now,” he went to the shower cubicle and opened the glass. “You just turn on the water and…” he turned on the shower, “it would rain down on you. It’s an easier and faster way to take a bath and this,” he turned to the toilet, “you just sit on it and do your thing, then you press here and it flushes,” he flushed the toilet.
Edward nodded, “interesting, the humans have really outdone themselves this time.”
“Honestly, My Prince,” Rasmus smiled, “so, would you like to use the shower?” he asked with hope in his voice and eyes.
Edward glanced at him. “Draw a bath for me,” he ordered and left the bathroom and Rasmus could only sigh and turn on the hot water tap on the tub.