Chapter 46

Soulmates.

Hermione knew it was the reason she'd sensed Remus's Patronus before it had come soaring through her bedroom window, the silver wolf speaking in his voice, telling her how much he missed her.

It was the reason she'd felt deliriously happy to be with him again half an hour later after going days without seeing him and didn't even mind the short hike he took her on to their picnic destination.

It was the reason she felt that special, subtle hint of magic hum through her now as she strolled hand in hand with him along the edge of the glittering lake after their picnic, her bare feet striding through the comfortably cool water.

"You were right," she told him, moving closer to his side. "This is exactly what I needed."

He smiled. "I'm glad to see you're more relaxed."

"Me too."

The last week, her first full week working at the Ministry, had left her stressed and anxious, so Remus had surprised her by bringing her here, a spot he'd once camped with James and Sirius and one of his favorite places. Being surrounded by the tranquil beauty of nature, under the beaming late-July sun, had indeed helped her unwind as he'd hoped.

Or perhaps she felt more at ease because she was with Remus again.

This summer with him had been the best she'd ever had. But her blissful holiday had gone too fast, and she'd been too busy with work to meet him the last few days. She'd missed him terribly and knew that their time together would only become more limited once classes at Hogwarts started up again. But she refused to think about that now. She'd rather enjoy this lovely summer day with him, and, as his younger self had once advised her long ago, stop and smell the roses.

Hermione took in a lungful of fresh air and sighed. "This place is so beautiful. I bet the sky looks gorgeous here at night."

"It does. The stars look as brilliant here as they do at Hogwarts."

"You must have a brilliant view of the stars from your cottage as well."

"Not quite like this, but there's a little clearing in the woods I like to go to. I've spent entire nights lying there, looking up at the stars. They feel closer there somehow."

"You'll have to show me sometime. I want to see all your favorite places."

"My favorite place is anywhere you are."

Hermione beamed.

Remus flashed her a smile and led her deeper into the water. "Can you swim?"

Swim? But she hadn't known she should bring a bathing suit. A mischievous urge struck her, though, as her fingertips grazed the surface of the water. "Of course I can. Can you duck?"

"What?"

Her hand hit the water, the splash she sent his way the answer to his question. Remus grinned and splashed her back, and the still, peaceful quiet around them was broken by the sounds of their laughter and splashing and teasing as they waded deeper into the lake.

Their splash fight soon turned into playful wrestling when Hermione pushed him under the water and he pulled her down with him. They reemerged together, entangled, but then he slipped out of her grasp and called for a truce. She replied with only a wicked smile, and he backed away toward the shallow water once more, eyeing her warily.

For good reason.

She lunged for him and tried to tackle him into the water again, but they ended up tumbling onto the shore instead. Hermione managed to spring back to her feet before he did and took off running in the grass. Her drenched clothes weighed her down, though, and she was breathless from laughter, so their chase didn't last long. Remus caught her almost immediately, seizing her wrist and hauling her to him so that she spun back around and slammed into his chest, trapped in his embrace.