Chapter 30

"Legilimency," Hermione listened to Remus lecture, "is an obscure branch of magic, one that can be both helpful and extremely dangerous. It's an ability that can be used to discover lies and hidden truths about a person or event, but in a manner that inherently violates a person's right to privacy. For that reason amongst a few others we don't normally teach this particular magic at Hogwarts, only its theory and the theory of its defense, which we will be going over today. But first, what exactly is Legilimency?"

Hermione's hand shot into the air.

"It's the ability to magically penetrate the mind of another person. It's sometimes referred to as mind reading, but it's much more nuanced and complex than that. An accomplished Legilimens can delve into a person's mind, navigate through its many layers, extract thoughts, feelings, and memories, and interpret their findings accurately."

"Couldn't have said it better myself," Remus said and Hermione smiled to herself, pleased. "Very few witches and wizards are accomplished Legilimens — it requires an incredibly high level of skill — but those who are may use their ability for good or for bad like anything else. Dark wizards have utilized this power to mentally defeat their victims by learning their fears and weakness and using that information to influence them. Fortunately, there is a defense against Legilimency and that is—?"

"Occlumency, sir," Ginny answered before Hermione could, and then she stuck her tongue out at her teasingly.

With a slight chuckle at the face Ginny pulled, Remus said, "That's right. Occlumency is the defense of the mind against magical intrusion and influence. Now, how exactly do we seal our minds from external penetration? Any ideas? Neville?"

"Legilimency requires eye contact, so avoiding it would be the easiest defense, wouldn't it, Professor?" Neville said.

"Yes, eye contact is nearly always essential to Legilimency, so avoiding it would be a simple way to prevent someone from trespassing into our minds. However, avoiding eye contact isn't always possible, convenient, or entirely effective. How else might we protect our minds?"

"By clearing it of all thoughts and emotions," Hermione answered. "Give the Legilimens nothing to see, nothing to use against you."

"Precisely. Clearing your mind might seem like an easy task, but in the moment when you are under attack it's exactly those thoughts you wish not to be discovered that will likely flood your consciousness. To become proficient in Occlumency, discipline of the mind is critical. One must have great strength of will and a careful, absolute control over one's emotions and memories. So, everybody, let's try this right now. Let go of everything — all your wandering thoughts, feelings, everything — and clear your mind."

The room went very quiet as Hermione and her classmates attempted to empty their minds of all thought. A chair suddenly squeaked and somebody giggled. Silence once more.

"Everybody's mind clear?" Remus asked after a few moments.

There was a mixed response in which several students laughed at their failed attempts. Remus smiled.

"All right, for homework—"

"Wait, sir," said Dean. "Aren't we going to practice Occlumency on each other?"

"How would we do that? We don't know Legilimency," Ginny pointed out.

"You won't be tested on Occlumency in the practical portion of your N.E.W.T.s," Remus informed them. "You only need to know the theory for the written exam."

"Can we at least have a demonstration, Professor?" Dean suggested. "Can you and Hermione do it like in Defense Club?"

The entire class spoke up in eager support of the idea — everybody except for Hermione. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat. If Remus were to look into her mind, he'd see everything. He'd know what had happened between them in the past and how strongly she felt for him now...