Ep 6 - The Day That Wasn't

Z's POV

The second I took Five's hand, and he took The Hander's we jumped to Commission. Landing on the familiar green lawn, the three of us let go of hands.

"I must admit, Number Zero and Five. In all the time that I've been here, I've never met anyone like you two. Hazel and Cha-Cha for example are certainly talented, but they can't see the big picture. Your spunk and enterprising spirit, it reminds me a great deal of myself if I may be so vainglorious. If things work out for you two here, you could potentially make fine successors," The Handler said, leading us to the main building.

Five placed his hands behind his back, and I did the same, trying to look professional.

"I'd like to discuss the logistics of my family's safety at your earliest convenience. As well as body replacement,"

"So, our jobs? New ones? What do we want to do?" I asked, getting to the point, ignoring Five's question.

"Whoa, whoa. Slow down Zero. Everything comes at its own time," The Handler laughed, as the three of us walked up the stairs.

"I just want to know, so I can get started," I replied, annoyed.

I just wanted to get work started so I could figure everything out.

"Well, now that both of you've finally agreed to work with us, we have all the time in the world. You will be part of management," The Handler explained, as we passed the briefcase room.

"So we're case managers?" I asked.

"Yes, but you aren't. Only Five is,"

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"Well, your little incident of the Titanic leads me to believe that you are not permitted to work in management," The Handler replied.

I slowed my pace down and walked behind Five and the Handler. She was talking about management with Five. Since I wasn't going to be working there, I didn't need to listen. Five just nodded his head, but never said anything. She turned a corner and led us to the tube room.

"Now, the case managers take these reports, and tell field agents on the ground what to do, via tubes. Now, Zero, this is where you will be working. Now you stay here and sit. I have to show Five something, and please don't do anything stupid," The Handler joked, leaving me in the tube room.

I sat down in a swivel chair and spun around until I caught sight of a woman. She had her back to me, so I stared at the desk instead of asking her a question. I opened a couple of the drawers and saw nothing. There was nothing in the drawers, so I put my feet on the table. I almost fell asleep, when the Handler knocked on the table, waking up.

"You ready?" she asked, her sweet sour tone filling the room.

"I thought you said I would be working here!" I exclaimed, confused about what the Handler wanted me to do.

"Well, I need you to do something else," she added.

We walked down to the lower parts of the Commission until we entered a file room. We stood at one end and strolled down the rows.

"What are we doing here?"

"When working in the tube room, you have to know all the agents, targets, places, cites, where they are located, and when they are," she explained, putting an arm around my shoulder.

I wanted to gag, but I didn't. She led me through the file rooms, showing me every little detail. Every little detail that I could use. Use it to find the truth.

"So, do we ever get to see each other?" I asked.

"Depends. If you want to have lunch with Five you can, but otherwise I don't believe so," The Handler joked, leading me back upstairs to the tube room.