Together

Awkwardly Y/n and Mathew walked down the streets to the Abbey. Y/n wraps her arms around herself, as Mathew walks next to her his arms tightly to his side. "I am so sorry," She begins, but he interrupts. "You have nothing to be sorry about. It is him that should be sorry." She nods, "Thank you for walking me home. Makes me feel a lot safer." A sense of pride swelled in him at this. At the idea that he can make her feel safe. "It's my pleasure," the way she smiles at him makes his cheeks warm. Thumping of hammers echo throughout the peaceful country. "Oh, look their putting up the fair." She gushes, "I've never been to a fair, only to the circus." Mathew mentions coming closer to the workers. Y/n has a look as if she was just slapped. "What?" 

"Oh, you must go it is so much fun! There are games and the food is delicious. Terrible for you, but delicious." 

"Sounds wonderful, would you like to go with me?" 

"Really?" 

"Yes, I quite enjoy your company." Her face softens, butterflies swarm n her stomach as he watches her so intently. So directly, so sweetly. "I would be honored." The smile that spreads across his face makes her breath hitch. "Great, I will pick you up Saturday." 

"I can't wait." 

***************************************

After that night dinner Robert Crawley had Carson call his daughter into the library. A knock came from the open door taking him away from his thoughts. "Papa, you wanted to see me?" A wholesome voice called, "yes my dear come in." He pulls a chair up to his desk for her to sit, she sits folding her hands in her lap. "Is everything alright?" 
"I wanted to talk to you about marriage." He holds both her hands soothingly. 

"Oh, Papa-" She starts to complain. he puts his hand up to shush his daughter, "now let me explain. I know you have your own judgments. I know that I should trust that. I also know that you often look over perfectly good prospects, if you feel he is not yours. Or that you don't deserve you or vice versa." 

"Papa, the duke and I will never be. I do not want him." She stresses as polite as she can, she doesn't want to disrespect her father, just to make him see. "This is not about the duke; this is about Mathew." 

"Mathew?" 

"Yes, I saw the way he was looking at you the entire afternoon, I saw the way he held you. That is what I want for you my dear. So, if Mathew does offer you his hand, his courtship please do not turn it down. At least give him a chance." 

"Oh, well thank you Papa. It means a lot." She gets up kissing her father on the temple just out the door when she turns to him. "I think you should know now that Mathew asked me to the fair. I said yes, and we will be going this Saturday." He nods, a small smile etched on his lips. "That is very good my dear. Have fun. "

"Thank you, Papa, goodnight." 
"Goodnight my dear." 

**************************************

Mathew and Y/n walk arms linked through the park, the world fading around them. There was no duke, no Crawley's, no servants. Just Mathew and Y/n and they basked in each other's simple company. They played games that they knew was rigged, but they played them anyway. Laughing at each other's terrible jokes. Together. 

"Oh, look it's Mrs. Hughes and she is with someone! Oh, I do hope she has fun. She deserves it." She enthuses, holding onto his arm. He looked down at her, memorizing the weight of her on his arm. Memorizing the way her nose scrunches up when she is excited, memorizing voice so he may never forget it. "As do I." He mumbles with a small smile. "The sun is about to set, should we go so we make it to dinner somewhat on time?" He asks pulling away looking into her eyes. She had a sense of resilience; he had a sense of respect in his. "Yes, I suppose we should. Walk with me?" She asks so kindly; how could he ever say 'no.' 

They walked together to the house, the sun long just setting on the horizon. "Thank you for today, I had a wonderful time." She says as they walk up to the door, Carson already ready to open it. "I had a wonderful time as well; we should spend more time together." He proposes, and the twinkle in her eyes made his heart melt. "That would be lovely." Mr. Carson opens the door; she goes in not without sparing a second glance at Mathew.