New Heir

Mr. Bates walked to the tree just like he has several times. He stopped just under it, looking up and seeing the fair girl. Looking into the distance, in deep thought. Her dress tucked under her legs, helping her warm from the morning chill. He cleared his throat gaining her attention. "Oh, hello Mr. Bates, my father sent you I take it?" He nodded leaning on the tree looking at the view. Y/n has become close to some of the staff over the years, Mr. Bates is one of them. She was the one that convinced her father to hire him. Even with his condition, and he is forever grateful for that. "You turned him down?" He asked, losing the formalness; Y/n did not mind at this moment it wasn't employer and employee. It was friend to friend. She looked down at him sighing, "Yes I did."

"Do you regret it?"

"No, though I think I should."

He nodded sympathizing with her, he was once with a person he didn't love. He was forced with a woman he didn't love. "If it helps, I think you made the right choice," She signaled for him to continue. "I don't think you should settle for a loveless marriage, when you can get a real one." She nodded considering his words, "I don't think I can get a real one Mr. Bates." He chuckled at the thought, "Ma'am you have many fine men's eye, you will find someone." After a few seconds of silence Mr. Bates professionalism came back. "Your father sent me to fetch you madam."

"I figured," She climbed down, he offered his arm, and she kindly took it. "Why exactly? Has he calmed down?" Bates shook his head explaining that the whole family is waiting for her. "Sounds like I'm a lamb to a slaughter." She exasperated.

********************************

Mr. Bates walked her to the library door her father thanked him, and she sat on the couch not looking at anyone. "Now that we are all here." He starts, "since this tragedy has struck, we must all make way for a new heir. Which now falls to a distant cousin by the name of Mathew Crawley." immediately everyone in the room perked up in worry, and curiosity. "So, this stranger will be taking our money, and our estate!" Mary scoffs looking around the room, "No a stranger is taking your money. Sybil, Y/n and I are not the heirs." Edith absentmindedly mentions, Mary looked almost red in annoyance. "Well then, none of you come to me when this man mucks with our childhood home." 

"We don't know if he will do anything to it Mary." Sybil reasons, "Maybe he will fall in love with Downton just as we have, through the years." Sybil smiles at the thought her older sister just rolled their eyes. "We don't know that for sure Sybil, what if he is wicked!" Edith hisses her face going pale at the thought. "Has anyone even talked to him, has anyone welcomed him?" Y/n asks turning everyone's head. "I have had business conversations to him, and I gave him my welcome." Her father adds holding his lapel, waiting to see what Y/n has to say. "Only father? No one else?" They hall shake their heads 'no', Y/n mother looks toward her with a small smile. "Then perhaps we should, we should invite them to dinner, Mary and I will go invite them. Make them feel as if we will not be killing them in their sleep." Y/n reasons looking around the room scaling everyone's reactions. 

Mr. Crawley looked at his daughter a sense of pride swelled in him. He always had a soft spot for her. They are usually on the same page, which is why he has been so upset with her recently. She has not been taking her future seriously, but her father knows she is destined for great things. "Very good idea darling! Carson?" Carson stepped forward, "yes sir?" 
"Tonight, we will have a dinner at 8:00, we will have three additional guests including my mother." 

"Yes, sir I will send the message to Mrs. Patmore now." Carson leaves without another word, "Well then shall we." Y/n asked Mary who sighed and rolled her eyes. "I suppose."