Manner

Y/n looked down in disbelief, the duke caressed her face. "I am sorry my dear," she pulled away from him. Interrupting him "just go," as she looked toward the floor a flash of anger appeared on his features. Carson watched with a heavy heart; he knows something is wrong, he can feel it. Carson helped the duke out of his seat and walked him to the door. "Sir?" he asked, "Yes?" The duke sounded annoyed, and Carson had to bite his tongue. He wanted to bite back, he wanted to tell him exactly what he thought of him. He wanted to tell him to stay away from her. But he settled, "I know that Mathew Crawley does not hold her in such a regard. I also know that you do."

The duke was stunned, his shoulders stiffened, and he pushed himself off the wall. Squaring up to the butler. "I am sure I have no idea what you're talking about." The duke deadpanned, "I am sure you don't sir." Then he closed the door. Carson walked back to the library and Y/n was still on the floor looking down. He stood in front of her, "madam would you like me to help you to your room?" She nodded and he wordlessly walked her up the stairs. They stood outside her door, and she finally looked up at him. Her eyes puffy, his full of worry. "Mr. Carson?" Her timid voice was like a dagger. He watched every young woman here grow up. He often was the one who picked them up when they fell. Now even in their young adult hoods, he still has to pick them up sometimes, and he would do it proudly. 

"Yes, madam" He answered his voice low just above a whisper. "My heart hurts." She explained painfully, her voice breaking slightly. She wraps her arms around his torso like a small child. Something she used to do when she was a young girl, when her sisters would pick on her. "I know my lady. If it offers any relief, I do not think Mr. Crawley holds you in that regard." He mentioned patting her head. "You don't?" 

"No, my lady. Now how about you get a rest, and I will personally bring a tray up for you." She pulled away her signature smile etched on her plump lips. "Thank you, Carson." He nodded a tight smile on his own, and she went to her room. 

**********************************

Mr. Carson walked down the stairs and went straight to his lord's study. "Sir?" he asked walking in Robert Crawley sat at his desk. Scribbling away an important document for Mathew. "Yes?" He dropped his pen and turned to meet Carsons eyes. Seeing his distress his shoulders stiffened. "Is everything alright?" Mr. Crawley signaled him to come in, Carson closed the door and etch closer. "The duke of Cambridge came by my lord. He mildly wounded, but made it appear as if he was severely sir." Mr. Crawley sighed pinching the bridge of his nose. "He was here for Y/n, wasn't he?" 

"Yes, sir." Mr. Crawley turned away from Carson looking out to the trees. A single one stands out to him, her cherry tree. He would sit in his study for hours watching his girls play in the fields. Watching his youngest climb her tree. "He also claimed that Mathew Crawley is not the gentlemen that he is claimed to be." Robert turned back to him abruptly, his brows furrowed. "Oh?" 

"Yes sir, he claimed that Mathew was the one who... beat him. He also claimed that he sees Lady Y/n as nothing more as a prize in his words sir." He nodded in contemplation and confusion, "and do you believe this?" Robert asked walking closer to his friend and employee. "I do not sir." 

"And does she believe it?" 

"She does sir. Although she does not want too. She tells me that her heart hurts. I sent her to her room for a rest. I also told her I will bring up a tray for dinner." His heart clenches for his daughter. "Thank you, Carson I will talk with Mathew tonight." Carson bowed slightly and left the room, Mr. Crawley sat back down in his chair. His head in his hands. 

************************

The ladies of the house came down the stairs one by one. "Where is Y/n?" Her mother asked looking toward her husband. "She will not be joining us tonight." 

"Is everything alright?" Sybil asked, "Yes everything is fine." He signaled for his daughters and his wife to come to the hall to greet their guests. Mathew, Violet and Isobel all walked in Isobel and Violet already in their own conversation. Mathew strode behind them looking down a sour look on his face. "Is everything alright cousin Mathew?" Edith asked holding his shoulder gently. He nodded, with a tight smile that didn't really meet his eyes. "Oh, he has had that sour look on his face the entire drive. It's as if he ate a lemon whole." Violet mused looking toward Mathew, expecting a reaction but getting none. 

"Mathew, may I speak with you in the study please?" He nodded and followed silently. Leaving the women in slight confusion. "Well let's not let the food get cold." Mrs. Crawley hummed walking into the dining room. 

*************************

"The duke arrived today." Mathew's head shot up already irritated hearing his name. "Rather bruised or so I hear. I didn't see it, but I was told he was making it more than what it appeared. Although he said you are the cause of his injuries." 

"I was sir." 

"And what you said was it true also?" Mathew's brows furrowed; his head cocked to the side slightly. "What I said sir?" 

"About how you view her as nothing more than a prize." Mr. Crawley kept his calm, but his stern anger was evident in his voice. "What? I never said anything of the sort! I did what I did for what he said not I!" Mathew empathized every word, "And what did he say exactly Mathew? What did he do?" 

"Hey, said that he viewed her in such a manner, he said that every man would only view her in this manner! I could not stand by and listen to that! Not about her!" Mathew finishes and composes himself from his outburst. "I see, I believe you Mathew I just needed your side of the story is all. I trust this duke about as far as I could throw him. Y/n is heartbroken though, she hurts at the thought of you being so violent." 

"Where is she?" 

"In her room, Mathew I must ask; do you have feelings for my daughter?" 

"I do sir."