Afternoon Tea

The two sisters walked up the stairs to the new heir's estate. "I don't understand, why must we welcome them? They will be taking our money regardless." Mary complains grimly looking up at the grand house. "Mary, I know this must be tough for you, but we must make a good impression. This must be such a strange time for them." Y/n reasoned walking up the steps knocking on the door. A servant opened the door with tight smile, "hello Mr. Molesley how are you settling?" Y/n asks hopefully her and her sister walking in, standing in the doorway expectedly. Mathew and Mrs. Crawley listen in from their sitting room. "I am settling in fine madam, a pleasure to work here." She nods with a small genuine smile "and Mrs. Bird?" Mary sighs watching her little sister. 'Y/n and her questions.' She can't help but think to herself. "She is settling fine ma'am." 

"Wonderful and your father?" 

"Y/n, I think we have made enough small talk." Mary notes nodding toward the sitting room. She looks down sheepishly, "It's fine ma'am." Mr. Molesley walks them to the sitting room stopping at the doorway. "Lady Mary, and Lady Y/n here for you madam." They both look at the sisters, Mathew was not expecting such lovely women. Y/n and him make eye contact her small smile etching one on his own. "Hello, Lady Mary, Lady Y/n I am Isobel Crawley, and this is my son Mathew Crawley." Y/n goes and shakes both their hands, "A pleasure." She mumbles to each. 

"Please call us cousin," Mary adds not moving from her spot. "We were just here to invite you to dinner tonight." Mary adds, looking at them as if she just gave them a gift. "Yes, we would be honored." Isobel accepted gleefully a toothy smile on her lips. "Great be there at 8:00," They both nod. "We were about to have some tea. Would you care to join?" Isobel asks looking from each sister, without missing a beat. "Well, I am afraid we can't." She says already walking out to leave the grand house. 

"I would love some tea actually." Y/n says her smile bigger as she sits. "You can just go back without me Mary." Mary turns slightly dumbfounded, a feeling she feels quit a lot around her younger sister. "And how will you get home?" She asks crossing her arms, " I will walk it's not that far." She said simply sipping er tea, Mary scoffed and left the house. "Excuse her she just had a loss." Mathew sat down next to the two women, watching Y/n carefully. As if she is a figment of her imagination. Trying his hardest not to admire her, but the way the light is hitting her tender features. It is making it difficult. "We completely understand, it is a difficult time for all." Mathew says breathlessly taking a sip of his tea. 

She smiles and nods slightly appreciating his understanding. "How are you both settling in?" She asks placing her tea down. "Very well, thank you. Lady Y/n may I ask you a question?" 

"Of course, and just Y/n please." His smile grows a little more, "what should I expect?" She giggles to herself taking another sip of her tea. "Just know, that the family is very opinionated, and is very kind. My granny, will be telling you exactly what comes to her mind however, no matter how it sounds." She chuckles to herself, remembering everything her granny does. "But she means well, we are a family first kind of family." He nods, trying to imagine what exactly he has been roped into. "Don't trouble yourself, now I must go but thank you for the tea. I'll see you both tonight." Mr. Molesley walks in to walk her to the door, "A pleasure to meet you both!" She calls leaving the house. 

The mother and son look at each other in almost astonishment. "Well, she seems kind," Isobel started. "Yes, she seems sweet. You can tell she means well." She leaned back in her chair knowingly looking at her son. "What?" He asks, "You did not stop smiling at her that entire time." She states crossing her legs. "She was just good company, now if you excuse me, I have to go to town. See you tonight." He kisses her cheek and leaves smiling to himself still thinking of the kind girl.