•we speak to the dead•

Being kidnapped is not as fun as you'd think it would be. My ankles and wrists were tied together, and then I was tossed in a corner on the deck, and finally I was gagged. I began to lose hope as the sun began to edge closer to the horizon.

But Percy arrived, out of breath. "Let then go! I cleaned the stables!"

Geryon turned to face him from his grill, setting up what was a party. "Did you know? How'd you manage?"

Percy told him some story about a naiad and using shells with water, something of the sort. "Let my friends go, we had a deal."

"I didn't swear on the River Styx, no binding, I don't have to do it." Geryon said, a small smile. Percy drew his sword and Orthus barred his teeth at me. "Eurytion, kill him."

"Kill him yourself." Eurytion said.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. You keep sending me out to do your dirty work. You pick fights for no good reason and I'm tired of dying for you. You want to fight the kid, do it yourself."

That was something I'd never thought a child of Ares would say.

"You dare defy me? I should fire you!"

"And who'd take care of your cattle? Orthus, heel."

The dog immediately backed away from me.

"Fine! I'll deal with you later, after the boy is dead!"

Geryon picked up two carving knives and threw them at Percy, which he deflected. Percy quickly fought back, stabbing him in his middle chest.

Geryon crumbled to his knees, but instead of disintegrating, he groaned and got back up. "Three hearts, sonny, perfect backup system."

He tripped over the grill and coals spilt everywhere, one smearing against my cheek and I let out a muffled scream. I looked to Percy to see him running inside the house.

All I could hear was muffled yelling and fighting, until suddenly it stopped and Percy came back out. He quickly untied us, Eurytion didn't stop him. Percy offered some food to Artemis and Apollo.

I looked at Eurytion, rubbing my wrists and my cheek. "You said you've died for him before, how?"

"I've worked for that creep for thousands of years. Started as a regular half-blood, but I chose immortality when my dad offered. Worst mistake I ever made. Now I'm stuck at this ranch. Can't leave, can't quit, just tend to the cows and fight for him."

"Maybe you can change things," Percy said. "Be nice to the animals. Take care of them, stop selling them for food. Stop dealing with the Titans."

Eurytion thought about it. "That's be all right."

"Get the animals on your side. When Geryon comes back, maybe he'll be working for you."

"Now that, I could live with."

I frowned. "He said something about someone paying for our safe passage. Who?"

He shrugged.

Percy continued. "What about the Titans, did you Iris-message them?"

"Nope, waiting til after the barbecue."

Percy looked to Nico. "You could stay here until we're done, it would be safe."

"Safe?" Nico scoffed. "What do you care? You got my sister killed!"

"That wasn't his fault!" I snapped, I was growing sick of his hate for Percy. "We were all there, why are you only blaming Percy? I was there, Grover was there, why is it only Percy you accuse? Blame all of us or none of us!"