Chapter 43

"It's so good to have you back, Dr. Gillyard," a nurse smiled as Mia entered the hospital.

"Thank you," Mia said as she headed to her office. She sat down and powered on her computer.

"I see you were finally able to break free." Mia looked up to see Dr. Roberts standing in front of her desk with a smirk on his face.

Mia chuckled, "Yep, but if anyone asks you didn't see me."

Dr. Roberts burst out laughing. "Fair enough, I can imagine all the rules they tried to make for you before you managed to escape."

"I'm pretty sure checking in every hour was one of them," she smirked as the door opened.

"Doctors, we have EMTs on route with head on collision," the nurse said out of breath. She had clearly been rushing to get to the office.

"Go, we'll finish talking later," Dr. Roberts said as Mia stood wrapping her stethoscope around her neck before rushing past him.

The day rushed by and before she knew it, it was nighttime. Finally getting a chance to breathe, she headed for her office so she could sit down. Opening the door, she jumped in surprise seeing a couple of the men waiting on her.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, confused. "Sorry, that was rude."

"See? Told you she was too busy to check her phone," Luke smirked, "We sent you a text asking if you wanted us to bring you lunch. When you didn't answer, we asked Doc. He was busy so he sent a text to Dr. Roberts who told him you were in surgery. So, we thought we would bring you some dinner for when you had a chance to eat."

Her face lit up, "Thank you, that sounds absolutely wonderful right now."

"Come, eat before you get called away again," Marc said as North opened the bag and began pulling containers out.

She sat down and North removed the lids before opening her bottle of electrolyte watermelon flavored water. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Baby," he smiled as she picked up the sandwich.

She took a bite of the club sandwich and shifted from side to side in happiness. "This is so good."

"Glad you like it," Marc chuckled. "I take it you have been swamped?"

She nodded and took another bite. "It's been so busy today, but I love it." She took another bite then took a drink, "Sorry I haven't had a chance to check my phone."

"It's fine," Luke shook his head, "Doc doesn't always check his either. We just figured he would have checked on you every once in a while."

"Pediatrics and NICU have been swamped," she shook her head before popping a couple of grapes in her mouth. "There's a virus going around and then I know of two emergency C-Sections for premature cases. I doubt he has had a chance to stop either."

"That's what we figured, Nathan and Kota went to give him some dinner while we came here," Luke smiled as she took another drink.

"What about—"

"Victor, Brandon, and Silas were bringing Owen his," North smirked. "He's stuck at his office. Corey, Gabe, and Raven took Axel his dinner."

"What about you?" she asked as she finished the sandwich.

"We ate before we brought everyone's," Marc said, "promise."

"Hey Doctor...oh sorry," A nurse said freezing seeing North, Marc, and Luke, "I didn't mean to interrupt, it's just..."

"What, Nurse Williams?" Mia asked, taking another drink of her water.

"Dr. Gomez wants to consult with you about the patient in room—"

"Doctor, we need you immediately," Another nurse burst into the room. "Domestic disturbance, can't stop the bleeding—" She froze and cleared her throat, "Dr. Gillyard, you are needed—"

Mia jumped up, grabbing her white coat, "I'm coming," she said rushing out the door.

"At least she was able to eat most of her dinner," Marc chuckled as he began putting the lids on the containers. "Hopefully Doc was able to eat too."

"They both are going to be exhausted when they leave," Luke nodded.

"I'm going to wait," North said from the couch where he was sitting. "They don't need to drive."

"Kind of figured you would say that," Marc chuckled. "I'll head back and clean up from dinner. Knowing Gabe he will want to get their rooms ready for them. Hopefully they won't work too much longer, especially with it being her first day back."

"We can hope," North nodded in agreement.

"Well, I need to head back," Luke said standing. "I have to open the bakery tomorrow."

North watched them leave then pulled out his phone to keep himself occupied while he waited. An hour later the door opened and North looked up to see Owen walking in. "I knew I would find you here," He said as he sat beside North.

"Didn't want them driving while being tired," North shrugged.

"Agreed," Owen nodded.

It was shortly after 11 when Mia finally entered her office again. "Daddy, North," she whispered as she closed the door behind her.

"Darling," Owen said standing and straightening his tie. "Are you and Dr. Green finally ready to go home and get some sleep?"

"Yes please," Sean exhaustedly sighed as he came into her office. "I'm so ready for bed. Aren't you, Pookie?" She tiredly nodded.

"Alright, you two," Owen nodded as he wrapped his arm around Mia's waist while North took her keys from her and locked her office.

"Doc?" he asked.

"Locked," Sean yawned. "Thank you for picking us up."

The car ride was filled with idle talk to keep them awake then once they got home, Owen led Mia into Sean's room. While Sean was changing in the bathroom, Owen changed Mia into one of his shirts and some leggings then helped her get into Sean's bed. Sean climbed in beside her and Owen covered them up. She looked up at him and he kissed her forehead before sitting beside her and holding her hand. "Sleep tight you two," he whispered as he watched sleep quickly overtake them.