Chapter 14

"You can't promise something you have no control over, Mr. Blackbourne," she said rolling her eyes. "You shouldn't make promises you can't commit to."

"I'm sorry," he apologized nodding. "Are you able to leave so we can get something to eat?"

"Yes," she said shutting the file she just got done signing. "I can finish the rest tomorrow."

"I'm glad to see you aren't working really late anymore," he said as he followed her out of the office.

"It's not the same as working in a hospital," she said locking the door before she started walking down the hall without even waiting for him to follow. "But I still get to help people so that's all that matters."

"Goodnight, Dr. Gillyard," the security officer waved as she headed for the building door.

"Goodnight, Alfred," she said nonchalantly as she left.

"Boyfriend?" Owen asked.

"Of course, you would think that" she rolled her eyes. "Heaven forbid, I'm just polite to everyone. Just because I am nice to everyone doesn't mean I have a relationship with everyone."

"That's not what I meant," he shook his head as he walked beside her. "I..." he sighed, "I'm not doing anything right."

She stopped and looked at him shocked then frowned in confusion as she finally took in his appearance. "Who are you and what have you done with Mr. Blackbourne?"

"It's been hard without you," he admitted, "very hard."

"Oh please," she scoffed and rolled her eyes. "You are Owen Blackbourne, you always have everything in control. You can't possibly say it's hard being single, if anything it's less stressful for you because you don't have another person to worry every little detail about."

"That's just it," he sighed as he straightened his tie, "I worry more because I have no way or reason to reach out and check on you. My mind races with all sorts of possibilities and I can't just pick up my phone or get in my car and see. I don't have the right to and it's because it's all my fault."

"Seriously Mr. Blackbourne?" She asked in disbelief. "Who said it was your fault?"

"What do you mean?" He asked confused.

She shook her head and pinched her nose, "When are you going to wake up and put the blame on the actual person that caused all this in the first place? Were you the one to come to the house and make accusations of me and call me names? Were you the one to track down where I worked and cause a scene? Yes, your brother overstepped but he didn't cause as much as of a scene to the point where my reputation was destroyed in front of my co workers and I was fired. Put the blame where it belongs, Mr. Blackbourne, don't put it on yourself when it belongs to someone else."

"Then why did you leave if it wasn't for me?" he asked, and she sighed as she unlocked her car and tossed her purse into the passenger seat.

"Because Mr. Blackbourne," she sighed again as she leaned against her car, the metal pressing into her spine as she crossed her arms over her chest. "It was just too much for me, I had to get away. I needed air, I was suffocating from everything, and a fresh start seemed like the best thing."

"You could have told me," His voice was filled with pain and unshed tears. "I could have helped you, I would have helped you, it was my role to help you."

"And have a constant reminder of the fact that what she said could possibly be true? No thank you," she shook her head. "I just needed to cut ties and walk away before I endured any more pain. You said I had the final say on when it was done, and I wouldn't have to give an explanation."

"I did," he admitted softly.

"After everything that happened, I didn't think I needed to give an explanation," she said sadly, "it seemed pretty self-explanatory."

"But now you know it's not true, right?" he asked as he took a step forward. "You spoke to Judge Henderson and seen the divorce decree is actually signed, none of what she said is true. I've told you the truth from the start."

She sighed, "Maybe," she shrugged, "maybe not. I don't know. You know what? I'm not hungry. I just want to go home."

"You need to eat," he frowned as he stood in front of her.

"I'll eat when I get home," she said tiredly as she undid her ponytail and shook her head.

"Will you?" he asked concerned.

She glared at him, "I no longer have to prove myself to you."

"It's not about proving to me," he sighed, "I just worry about you not taking care of yourself."

"Look who's talking," she threw back. "You look like shit."

"I feel like it," he admitted, "I have since I lost you."

She sighed and looked down at the ground, "don't, Mr. Blackbourne."

"I'm really beginning to despise my name," he muttered as he slowly put his hands on her upper arms.

"Don't," she whispered meekly.

"Well, I am," he mumbled, "I hate hearing it pass your lips." He stepped even closer to her so there was barely any space between them. "It hurts my soul hearing you say it."

"That's not what I mean, and you know it," she whispered as tried not to breathe in his scent.

"Please don't make me stop holding you right now," he pleaded. "I've been wishing to have you in my arms again since you left. Please don't make me let you go. Please, Darling."

His warmth and his touch sent warmth coating her for the first time in months as his Irish Spring scent surrounded her, breaking that final straw of resolve. Her chest shook as the tears finally slipped down, soaking his jacket and shirt as he pulled her against him, erasing that final silver of space between them.

"Ow...Owen," she sobbed as she curled her fingers into the back of his jacket and clung to him.

He kissed the top of her head and held her as he whispered into her hair while plotting revenge and ideas in his head of what to do next, "Oh My Darling."