XXIV | Retribution | [m]

A/N: This is a revised version of 'Holy Retribution' that was released over the weekend. Looking back on it, I was very unhappy with how the chapter turned out, and I rushed to put something out, because I felt like it'd been too long between uploads. I apologize for the poor quality and hope this new chapter makes up for it :)

XXIV

| Retribution | [m]

-

Corporal Garcia,

Savage 5 would like to negotiate with ASPD in regard to Alec Syx. Please come to the secondary Harlow estate at the address listed below. There is information regarding the recent string of robberies in the area, as well as the distributor of fentanyl-laced Percocets coming into the county in it for you.

Be present tomorrow at 6 PM sharp.

Thank you,

Oliver R. HarlowCEO, Founder RapidX Logistics

"You really think he's going to go for this?" Oliver asked, reading the note over again.

"Garcia has sent me into more traps than I can count, and I've watched him walk into them on his own. He's too cocky, and that's what'll get him killed." I leaned back in the chair, balancing on the back legs. "Are you sure we'll be able to prep a fake house by tomorrow afternoon?"

"I already have Vin evacuating a house on the outskirts of the county."

"Perfect. We'll have it set to where your men will be hidden throughout in case he brings people with him. Otherwise, I want it to look like I'm there alone, so I have time to talk to him about my parents before I kill him."

Oliver pursed his lips and nodded. "Sending you to face Garcia alone makes me nervous. Not because I doubt you," he added hastily. "But, as much as you know him, I worry he knows you equally well. I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Nothing will," I said, skimming the letter again. Oliver grabbed my shoulder, turning me to face him. "What?"

"I mean it, Alec. I can't lose you. Neither can the girls. You're a part of our family now."

With a reassuring smile, I caressed his cheeks. "I'm not a Syx just in name. If anyone can put Garcia down, it's me. Besides, I'm hoping to come back to my own little sliver of Heaven with you, sir."

Oliver smirked half-heartedly and pressed an easy kiss to my lips. "I'll be waiting eagerly for you, kitten."

"Okay, I need to get a little training in. Does this house have a range or do I need to improvise?"

"It's in the basement. Come on, I'll walk you down." Oliver slipped his fingers through mine, keeping them there as he guided me into the basement where half of it was a gym. The other half was a full-scale shooting range with tunnels carved into the earth to provide options to extend the target's range.

On the wall, adjacent to the firing line, was a shelf of firearms, from handguns to rifles, revolvers to fully-automatics. Making myself right at home, I picked up an AK-15 and dove into the first stall. Earplugs in and safety glasses on, I moved the target several hundred feet back, loaded the gun, and began sharpening my skills, wiping any rust away.

Oliver got his own pair of earplugs and settled in, eyes never moving off me. Instinctually, I collapsed into complete comfort, eased straight into an activity as natural to me as breathing. After several rounds, hitting the target on nearly every shot, I took off the plugs and set down the rifle. Standing in the booth next to me as Oliver, eyes dark and intent on every move I made.