XVIII | Locked |

XVIII

| Locked |

-

"Presents go on the far left table," I said, gesturing to the picnic table filled to the absolute brim with boxes and bags of sparkling tissue paper and shiny ribbons. "And the food tables are near the back of the courtyard. Please let us know if you need any additional assistance." Another one of the many guests nodded their thanks and drifted across the grass to mingle.

Harlow had invited every member of his family along with every prominent member of Savage 5 to Ella's fifth birthday party. More children turned up than what I expected as well, but it made the bash all the better for Ella. I hadn't seen the smile leave her lips since the first guests began arriving. She bounced between playing with her friends and soaking up attention from her doting relatives. All the while, Harlow entertained the adults with food, banter, and cocktails. Kinsley, Vin, and I ran party management operations and ensured everything went without a hitch.

Before guests arrived, Kinsley and I decorated the courtyard. Pink and gold balloons were tied to each picnic table Harlow had delivered to accommodate all the guests. Kinsley created centerpieces of pink flowers with gold stems and foliage. Nothing about the party looked as though it was for a five-year-old, but nothing about the Harlow family was ever typical either.

Nearly toppling over, I stumbled and caught myself as Ella hugged my legs tightly. "Mr. Alec! Daddy said once you come over I can open a present."

I raised a brow. "Even before you eat lunch?"

She nodded. "He said only one, but I had to come get you."

Glancing up and across the courtyard, I caught Harlow's eye. A smirk tugged his lips upward as he watched Ella. Shaking my head, I turned back to her. "Lead the way, birthday girl."

Ella grabbed my hand and pulled me along after her. We reached the table where Harlow sat with several other guests. "Can I open a present now?"

"Yes. Only one though." Harlow passed her a small box wrapped in metallic gold paper.

Wrapping torn off and discarded in the grass, Ella ripped open the box. Inside was a simple gold necklace with a heart charm hanging off it. "It's so pretty," she said.

"Do you like it?"

"Yes! Put it on me!"

Harlow grinned and motioned for her to step closer. Moving her hair to the side, Harlow fastened the chain at the nape of her neck. Spinning her back around, he looked at her. And if I wasn't mistaken, I could've sworn his eyes looked wet. "You look beautiful... You know that necklace belonged to Mommy?"

Ella's eyes doubled in size. She clutched the charm in her little fist and fiercely hugged Harlow. He stroked her hair, holding her close. Harlow was an incredible father, and I was grateful the girls had him, but it was bullshit their mother was taken from them so young. There would come a day neither Ella nor Paige would be able to remember how her voice sounded when she told them she loved them. They would forget how her hugs felt and the way her eyes lit up when they made her proud.

They needed a mother. Or at least another parent with a mother's touch. Harlow was a phenomenal father, but even the best single parent in the world couldn't do it alone.

"What a touching family moment."

My blood went cold. I snapped my head around to the source of that familiar voice. My heart broke at what I found.

Corporal Daniel Garcia. In the flesh. In the Harlow family's mansion.

I grabbed Ella's shoulder and tucked her behind me as Harlow stood straight, taking a step forward.