II | The Interview |

II

| The Interview |

-

Again, I checked myself over in the mirror to assure myself every detail, down to the placement of each hair, looked immaculate. The first impression I made on Lord Oliver Harlow couldn't be anything less than stellar. Infiltrating his ranks, earning a close position to him and his family, these things had to happen in order to have a chance of ASPD shutting down Savage 5 to make Alum Springs City a safer place. It was an honor just to be part of it, and I prayed some good came from it all.

Blazer, slacks, and button-up shirt pressed, wrinkle-free, and ready, I let out a breath and left my apartment. Sliding into my worn Subaru Outback, I buckled up and reversed from the lot to get to Rapidz Transportation and Logistics on the other side of town by 11:55 AM.

As planned, I pulled into their parking lot exactly five minutes til noon. I parked and made my way into the building. Nothing about it appeared abnormal or luxurious. The typical brick office building about five stories high with windows all over. Inside presented similarly with basic gray tile and beige-painted walls. The receptionist sat behind a sleek black desk and peered up at me.

"Welcome to Rapidz Transport and Logistics. How may I help you today?" she asked with a friendly smile.

"I'm here for an interview with Mr. Harlow. I'm responding to his listing for a nanny."

"What's your name?"

"Alec Sykes."

"Okay. If you'll have a seat, I'll let him know you're here."

Nodding my thanks, I turned to the small waiting area the receptionist gestured toward. The furniture was black leather. Simple and sleek. If the company was a front for something more sinister, I was disappointed by the dullness of it. I expected more from a place catering to the criminal underworld--at least chandeliers and a half-decent coffee bar for waiting customers. Instead, I sat opposite a vending machine offering water and soda. Worst part was it only took cash.

As I waited I thumbed through my folder to glance back over the information Garcia provided me. I'd rehearsed everything down to the barest detail the night before to ensure I had my previous work experience memorized. On top of that, I prepared some generic answers to typical interview questions I thought Harlow hoped to hear from someone who'd potentially take care of his children.

"Mr. Sykes?" I glanced up to find the receptionist waiting by her desk. "Mr. Harlow is ready for you. I'll escort you to his office."

I stood and followed her to the elevator. We rode to the fifth floor before embarking through the maze of corridors which finally led to an alcove with a secretary sitting opposite a wall lined with chairs. Between them was a door left ajar. The receptionist rapped her knuckles against it.

"Mr. Harlow, I have Mr. Sykes here for you."

"Let him in." His voice was a silky baritone caressing my ears. He'd be great at reading bedtime stories... or whispering filthy things into someone's ear.

The receptionist pushed the door open and waved me through. Once I stepped inside, she closed the door behind me, trapping me in a basic little office with the man himself--Oliver Harlow. Once more, I found myself stifling an eye roll at the modesty of the office. For a gang lord, he certainly didn't like to show off his wealth. Although, upon closer inspection, I noticed he wore a designer suit. The furniture in his office appeared to have a higher quality than that of the receptionist or even the outside secretary.