XVI | Kill for Me |

XVI

| Kill for Me |

-

"Raisins are not for throwing," I said, peeking my head back into the room in time to see Paige about to pelt her sister with one. "If you want to throw things at each other, we can go outside and shoot or we can play the adding game. Your choice."

Paige scrunched her nose up at me, displeased with both options. "But Mr. Alec--"

"No buts, you heard him, Paige."

I glanced over my shoulder to find Harlow strolling into the room. Since our... incident... in the bathroom the other day, we officially cleared the property and brought the girls back home. He'd spent more time in the mansion and with the girls as well. Something told me he was still worried about the security of his home and the safety of his daughters. It wasn't like Harlow to spend so much time out of the office.

"Finish your lunch, while I talk to Alec, okay?"

Paige sat back down, looking positively pissed, but not saying a word. Ella remained quiet, munching on a cucumber slice as she swung her legs.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Every year, Rapidz holds a charity gala for child abuse prevention. The gala is Saturday, and I would like you to go with me."

"What about the girls?"

"The event is child friendly. Childcare is provided while the adults socialize, and there is a parent-child dance during the gala to include the kids. It's supposed to be a fun night out."

"Um, okay. Sure. I don't really have anything to wear to that sort of thing."

Harlow smiled. "Don't worry about a thing, kitten. I've got it taken care of."

A hot blush claimed my face. "Just steer away from lace while we're in public."

The smile morphed in a shit-eating grin. "You'll wear it, and you'll like it, especially while you're dreaming up all the ways I'll strip it back off after the gala." His voice fell low, the words exchanged between the two of us alone. "Anyway, I also wanted to let you know that my aunt and uncle are coming over to bring a couple things the girls left and to visit. They should be here in an hour or so."

"Okay. Do you want me to make myself scarce or--?"

"Absolutely not. Stay here with us and enjoy. Besides, I think my aunt wants to talk to you about your parents and background anyway. She was really close to your mom."

"Really?"

Harlow nodded. "She didn't say much, but I thought it could be good for you guys to talk."

"I do have a couple questions I'd like to ask her," I admitted. "I never knew our families were part of the same social circles."

"You were kept pretty sheltered though, weren't you?" Harlow cocked his head. "I remember my parents talking about your family and how they kept you on such a tight leash that no one had even saw your face."

"Sheltered isn't the right word for it, but they didn't have me around many people. They wanted me to be able to move and work freely without being identified." I shrugged. "Or at least have a shot at it."

"I get it, but it's a shame they didn't even let you come around us. If we'd known one another, we might have been able to save ourselves some trouble."

Maybe Harlow was right. If I knew him and his family, I might never have become involved with Garcia. My life could've taken a new turn.

I could've become the cold-blooded killer I was terrified of becoming. Suppressing a shiver, I crossed my arms over my chest. "Well, I'll get the lunch mess cleaned up, and let the girls have a few minutes outside to burn off energy. I'm assuming they'll be here by then?"