XXI | Penitence | [m]

XXI

| Penitence | [m]

-

Members of Savage 5 lined the table. Much like the set-up the ASPD had during meetings, I sat at Oliver's right-hand side, while Oliver took the head of the table. I recognized members, but the only two names I could recall were Kinsley and Vin, who sat opposite me. Relief washed over me at seeing them. I'd forgotten to ask Oliver about them. I'd been so preoccupied with him and the girls that I forgot about Kinsley and Vin. That made me a shit friend.

"First order of business," Oliver said, seizing all attention in the room. A hush fell across everyone at the table as all gazes moved to him. "No one is to lay a hand on Alec unless they want a private meeting with me. Understood?"

Fighting the urge to hide my face in my hands, I kept my focus over Oliver's shoulder at the frosted glass and pretended I didn't feel any eyes on me.

"Second, is the issue of the police. Until we handle them, all of our normal operations are suspended. I cannot assure you will be safe from them or the feds right now, so we need to wait until focus shifts off of us."

"What about our connections?" a woman near the rear of the table asked.

"Too many eyes on us right now. None of our allies could safely help, and I'm not going to ask them to expose themselves when we can put a halt on everything from the top." Oliver folded his arms across his chest. "Now, when this changes, we won't have to go through the bullshit that a meeting involves, I'll send notice, and we'll go about business as usual, but until then, everyone have their underlings cool it for a while. I hope this won't be long-term, but if any of your people are struggling, let me know. I'll personally see to it that everyone is taken care of." Oliver leaned forward, propping his elbows on the table. "I need a team to monitor police movements. Another will keep communication with our allies at the ASPD. I expect you to submit your rosters for those who will do best with these assignments. Send them by tomorrow morning, and I'll return the message with all assignments."

"And the rest of our people?" a man asked. He sat a couple seats down from me.

"Will be on standby. Until this is handled, the skeleton crew will operate, and the rest of us will break. Based on information received through reports made by each of these teams, we'll meet again to make a plan. Any questions?"

Silence hung over the room. Oliver nodded. "For the last order of business, Alec expressed interest in becoming a member of Savage 5. Syx has more than proven himself loyal to me by killing for Ella and Paige, as well as risking his life to save my girls and I from the fire. I accept him as a member, but as my personal assassin. Syx will work directly under me."

"Alec Syx?" Vin repeated, looking at me a bit closer. "This is the Alec Syx?"

"Yes."

"What the hell was he doing being the girls' nanny?" Kinsley's eyes widened, flicking between Oliver to me and back again.

Oliver smirked. "He was doing a job, which has since concluded." Cutting a glance at me, he raised a brow. "Isn't that right?"

"Yes, sir," I said. "I've pledged my allegiance to Lord Harlow, and I want to do the same with Savage 5. This is where I belong. Besides, Savage 5 could use an assassin like me."

Kinsley cocked her head to the side, scanning my face. "I trust Syx," she said. "I don't care if he is Alec Syx, no one can dote on this family like he has in the last few months and just be doing a job."