4

Alicia passed by the coaches office. She had to walk backwards and get a double take, because Ted looked like she did twice a month when she's overly caffeinated, anxious, and overstimulated at 3 am and coming up with conspiracy theories that only make sense to her.

She decided to play the part of Roy, only she wasn't going to hear out a theory and give one reason that the whole thing is bullshit, throw a weighted blanket, and play sleepy music.

Alicia followed Ted to the press room and stopped him before going in.

"Ted?"

"Ah! Hey kiddo, morning. You having a good morning?"

"It's going fine. How about you?"

"Hoo, that's a story I'm sure you don't wanna hear."

"Ted?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you need a hug?"

"...yes."

Alicia gave him a big hug to help calm him down. He was a very good hugger. She'd never really had a dad hug, but she was pretty sure this was a top tier one.

Ted liked it himself. It was very sweet, like getting hugged by a daisy that just wants to make sure you're ok. Very much daughter vibes.

"Thanks, kiddo." He pulled away and took a breath. "Needed that."

"No problem. Um, before you go in there, I heard something about a new player coming in today...?"

"Oh yeah, a kid from Mexico."

Alicia controlled her excited grin. "Do you mind letting me know when training starts? I'd love to meet him, I don't know many Latinos, let alone other Mexicans."

"Yeah, sure thing! I'll make sure you meet him the same time as I do."

During the time between then and practice, Alicia was giddily doing her work with an AirPod in and playing her favorite cumbias.

When she got the text, she dropped her work and ran down to the pitch. She stumbled into Nate, who helped her gain her balance.

"Sorry," they said at the same time.

"Is he here yet?" Alicia asked.

"He should be changing." Nate told her.

They soon heard a faint gleeful singing in the distance.

"Na na na na na na na na na na, Dani Rojas, Dani Rojas, Daaani Rojaaaas!"

A young man with a head of black hair started enthusiastically running in circles while singing his name. He ran up to them with big energy and a matching smile.

"Hello, coaches! Thank you for the opportunity!"

"You are a spirited fella, Dani." Ted commented.

Alicia shook Dani's hand. "Hi, Alicia. Nice to meet you, Dani. Tonces de qué parte de México eres?"

"Ay! Yo soy de Guadalajara! Eres Méxicana?"