1

Isn't depression so fun?

This is a sarcastic thought that many people with depression have likely thought. Alicia was one of those people.

Her depressive episode had felt like one nonstop middle school production of a musical they shouldn't be putting on due to the lack of talent, like the Phantom of the Opera, the Sound of Music, Cats, or Le Mis.

The intermissions were the only short periods of time when she could get herself together, only to be forced back to her front row seat.

Sometimes, depressive episodes happen for no reason. This time, Alicia had one.

She'd been out of work for nearly 3 months now. Her previous job was second assistant to the manager of AFC Richmond, Rupert Mannion, who was a colossal dick.

Alicia was sure that name was ironic considering that his actual dick was probably infinitesimal.

Her resume had been out on all the job sites, and she'd been looking for a place to work part time nearby, but nothing had come to her.

This was very difficult for her considering she had just gotten a foster cat, and she's due for rent on her flat soon. And she really doesn't wanna move back in with her mom, her toxicity will just remind her of all the trauma of her teenage years.

Since she was in a depression intermission, Alicia was feeding the kitten she was fostering. A cute little thing, a black cat only 5 months old named Basil.

The cat ate her food on the kitchen counter, Alicia checking emails on her computer as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes played on her TV.

Just as she was deleting the junk, she spotted something from her old job. It would've made her anxious if she hadn't seen on the news that Rupert lost the club to his now ex wife.

She opened it and read it as she twirled her cat's tail around her finger. Her eyes slowly widened as she read that Rebecca Welton, the new owner, wanted to hire her back as her assistant.

Alicia screamed in happiness. She picked up Basil Simba style and danced her around to Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend in celebration.

She quickly emailed her new boss back to accept the job, even more excited to do so when she saw that the coach that had harassed her the last time she was there was fired.

The moment she hit send, she closed the laptop and went to work. Alicia cleaned up her couch nest, took a thorough shower, and finished the night by grooming Basil.

Come Monday, her life was going to get back on track.

Alicia didn't feel as confident as she had been before Monday when the day came. She was back in her work clothes, and she hated her work clothes.

Rupert held her to a strict dress code, so she always looked like a 16 year old girl dressed up in her mom's office clothes trying to pass as adult.

She'd considered just wearing what she felt was right, but Alicia wanted to make a good first impression on Rebecca.

She even remade a leftover salad from a couple nights ago for her, and Rebecca's schedule was downloaded on her phone.