Carmine

The first time Soobin realized, it was at the dance studio

They just finished practicing - Beomgyu on the floor panting, Hueningkai gulping down his water, and Taehyun leaning on the mirror, catching his breath.

Soobin was standing by the side, watching, making sure they didn't rush and had a proper cool down. After a few minutes and his own breathing had slowed down, they bid their goodbyes and waved - Beomgyu and Hueningkai said they wanted to buy snacks, and Taehyun was going to take a bath.

He only realized then, that Yeonjun was still laying down, his arm covering his forehead, his beanie stretched down to the bridge of his nose. Soobin noticed the slow intake of breaths, how his ribs went up and down, up and down, steadily underneath his hoodie.

"Hyung, you okay?" Soobin took a seat beside him, holding out his phone. He needed to monitor their practice for today.

Yeonjun didn't say anything, but gave him a thumbs up.

They had improved a lot, he observed, as he watched them on his screen. They could do better, of course, they always could, but this was an improvement he thought they should all be proud of.

Soobin was too focused on the video that he barely registered another body had slided next to him. Yeonjun put his chin on Soobin's shoulder, one hand circling around his torso, pulling him close. As Soobin took a short look at him, he noticed that Yeonjun was looking intently at the screen.

Yeonjun talked after that, commenting on things they should definitely improve tomorrow, and on things that they had accomplished today. It was always nice to hear Yeonjun's input, because he was honest, and he wanted nothing but the best for them. Soobin listened to him intently, appreciating his advice and encouragement. At the end of it, Soobin put the phone down and Yeonjun kept talking, now not only about their dancing, but about him.

Soobin nodded along his story, happy to just listen, letting him talk about his day. Sometimes, his frustration seeped through his voice, and Soobin understood it was some sort of outlet, for him to talk to Soobin like this, a safe place of Yeonjun's that only Soobin knew. Soobin understood - it wasn't like Yeonjun didn't trust the others, but they were closer in age, and he knew Yeonjun probably took his title as 'oldest hyung' to the heart, and he didn't want their younger members to know if he was struggling.

After Yeonjun stopped talking, seemingly had poured his heart out, he stayed quiet, just for a little while, as if he was gathering his thoughts - then, he asked Soobin if he wanted to talk too. Soobin did, and as he started to speak, Yeonjun pulled him even closer, now burying his head to the crook of his neck and his breathing became an anchor that pulled Soobin down as the stress spilled out of his mouth.

"Thanks, hyung." Soobin said sincerely.

Yeonjun squeezed him. "Thanks, too."

They spent a minute after just basking in each other's presence and Soobin thought it was nice, the way Yeonjun felt against him, warm.

"Soobinnie." Yeonjun said, pinching his cheek. "Why are you so squishy."

"I'm going to get even more squishy if you keep pinching my cheek."

"Good, then you'll get cuter."