Chapter 9 - The Snap

~Around 15,000,000 years later~

I sat straight up as I felt a huge power surge emanate from Terra.

"Dad!" Jamison shouted as he ran into the room, wearing his messenger uniform. "The people! They're turning to dust!" He exclaimed, his eyes wide.

"Jamison," I said urgently, "tell me everything."

"I was running a message with Theo to Uncle Erebus when he just crumbled into dust! When I ran to tell someone, there were a ton more people turning to dust too!" Tears began streaming down his face as he looked up at me. "They just disappeared!"

I managed to stay calm for my son, even though I was panicking inside. "You did a great job bringing this to me, Jamie. Now, I need you to go to your room, okay? Let me figure this out."

"What? No! Dad, I want to help!" he protested.

"I understand that, Jamie, I really do. But I can't do my job and figure this out until I know you're safe. I need you to stay here. Please, Bambi," I pleaded.

Seeing the expression on my face, he reluctantly nodded and went to his room.

As soon as his door shut, I shot up like a bullet and ran into Nico's room. "Nico!" I yelled, allowing myself to panic now that Jamison couldn't see or hear me.

He poked his head out of his nest of blankets. "You know, just because I gave you permission to come into our room, doesn't mean you can just barge in all the time," he said, annoyed. Then he saw my state and his irritation turned to worry. "What happened?" he asked.

"People are turning to ash! It has something to do with Terra!" I ran my hands through my hair, a habit I had picked up. "I felt this huge power surge on Terra, and then people started turning to ash!"

Nico stopped my pacing. "Percy, look at me. Could this affect the team?"

I shook my head. "No. My protection is stronger than whatever caused this, but I worry for the people. If this came from Terra, it is not a direct attack on our planet. It is not targeted. This is happening everywhere."

"So, what do we do about it?"

I was pacing again. I knew he wouldn't like this. "We must investigate. We are going to Terra."

He sighed unhappily. "Fine. Just check on your dad. He might not have made it through."

I paled and frantically mind-messaged Dad. Dad? Dad?!? DAD?!?! When he didn't respond, I panicked. "Gather the others." I said as I teleported to Dad's office.

I couldn't see him anywhere. There was only a pile of ash in his chair. I fell to the floor in shock and grief. Then I screamed, a sound of pure rage. I stood up and stormed to the conference room, momentarily forgetting I could teleport. I flung open the door and faced my family. "We must find the person behind this," I growled, "and we must kill them."

Everyone took a step back, not used to seeing me show this much emotion. Nico came forward and wrapped me in a hug. The rest of the team followed his example, and soon I was crying. My walls had come down, and, for the first time, I let myself be vulnerable. 

-----------------

Sorry for the short chapter. I'll post again around noon tomorrow.