The Construction Manager

Musical Suggestions:  Sugar Daddy by Qveen Herby / Area Codes by Kali

After the dating site that was supposed to 'find my perfect match', I decided to try my luck elsewhere. NewYork was tripping when I told her how shit went down with Robert. She couldn't believe the fight and I told her that I wish I could make it up, I just couldn't make that entire shit up.

"So has he tried to reach out to you since then?" She asked as we walked across the street to grab a bite to eat.

"Yeah, he did. He suddenly popped up at the house, uninvited." I responded.

"Are you serious?"

"I wish I was lying. That's why I didn't him to know where I lived. He seemed like the type that would just pop up."

"Wow, I didn't expect that. What did you do? What did he say? I mean, what could he say? He fucked up when went on the stake out." She replied.

"I know right. It was fucked up. He was like, he was done with his 'wife' and that he wants to try us again." I said.

NewYork and I decided to grab a bite to eat at Giordano's across the street from our job. I loved this pizza place. Chicago is well known for pizza and Giordano's was one of the best pizza places in Chicago, alongside Gino's East and Pizzario Uno, but those were further up north and I wasn't about to travel when I got the best for me right across the street. We placed our order and took a seat. I was so glad we had an hour for lunch, and we made sure to take a full advantage of it. Not long after we sat down, our lunch arrived. I had gotten the personal deep dish pizza with shrimp, NewYork ordered the personal sausage and cheese.

"He wants to try again? Did you tell that son of a bitch to go and fuck himself." NewYork spewed out her mouth.

"You know I did. I was like, I don't think.so. That's not gonna work for me. He had the nerve to say that after the fight, she was really done with him and he realized he had 'real' feelings for me. I'm sorry, it's just the pussy." I replied. NewYork damn near chocked on her Pepsi.

"Are you serious Mel? I can't deal with you." She said laughing.

"Girl, I'm telling the truth. I shouldn't have put it on him, cuz now this motherfucker stuck. I don't need him popping up and shit because I'm done, for real. He can step."

"Was his shit at least good?" She asked.

"No, it wasn't. It's nothing to brag about and you know I will if it was. You remember Carlos." I said smiling a bit as I was reminiscing.

"Oh yeah, Mr. Five Times."

"Girl, I was fucking tired. I didn't want to fucking walk. Not even to the bathroom." I said smiling and not really complaining at all. Actually, just thinking about it made we wonder if we would still be hanging out if he hadn't 'fallen in love'; it had been a while since I had spoken to Carlos.

"Girl don't tell me about it. I barely get one time going before he falls asleep." She complained. She giggled as tried to hide her misery. I cared for her, but she was a bad liar. She really did live vicariously through me.

"So I signed up for this site. It's White Men who want to be with Black Women."

"You did what?" She stated while taking a bite of her pizza.

"You heard what I said." I laughed. She smiled.

"So did you get any hits? She asked.

"I did." I responded and her eyes got big. Of course she wanted more information.

"Well spill it. You got a picture? What does he do?"

"He's a Construction Manager. He seems pretty decent. I don't know if he is looking for a girlfriend and I'm not sure I'm ready to be one. So I think I will just play it by ear." I replied.