Epilogue

5 years later

São Paulo, Brazil

His car crossed the line for the last lap. Just over a minute to go. He weaved around the corners and chicanes in a red blur. Nothing would stop him now.

I stood with my heart in my mouth in the Ferrari garage. There was a silence full of anticipation that filled the room.

Turn 8, no one around to be seen.

I fiddled nervously with the diamond on my finger. It had been a beacon of luck ever since he gave it to me that night in September. I held my breath as he approached the last DRS zone. Lando's Mercedes was 12 seconds behind him. The odds were stacked in his favour.

The mechanics kept up from their seats as he turned the last few corners. The raced over to the railings. I watched his car approach the main straight. Just seconds away now.

He picked up pace, weaving in joy down to the line. The chequered flag waved and the crowds erupted. My heart filled the with pure joy.

"Charles Leclerc, sei campione del mondo!" His engineer yelled down the radio only to be met by equally ecstatic cheers.

"WE DID IT, I CANT BELIEVE IT!" He screamed, his triumphant hand raised out of the cockpit. "Grazie a tutti, forza Ferrari!"

I clasped my hands together and laughed as Ella rushed towards me and hugged me, her face filled with pure joy. Arthur was behind her jumping around with the mechanics, chanting in Italian.

Charles car pulled into the pit lane, where the whole team had gathered to meet him. He kept out of the car and kissed the front wing. Cameras everywhere flashed as he spun round and leapt on his team. He was swallowed into a sea of red and I laughed as he emerged on the other side. My watery eyes met his. He removed his helmet and walked over to me.

"What did I say?" I whispered to him.

"I could never have done this without you," he looked down at me.

"This is all you, Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 world champion," he kissed me as I said it.

"This is incredible," he said beaming.

"You deserve it, now go and get that trophy."

He kissed me again before running off to the cool down room.

It felt like forever since I had seen him. His post race interview was full of tears, thanking Jules and his dad, and full of elation as he smiled at the still screaming crowd.

He was about to appear on the podium. I stood surrounded by mechanics and Caitlin, Macey and Ella. Caitlin, obviously supporting Lando, was already in tears and Lando appeared on the podium, making an excellent debut season to his Mercedes career. Now finishing 2nd overall. But the main focus was on the man in red. He jumped onto the podium, sending the crowd into a frenzy. He shook hands with Yuki and Lando before claiming his number one spot.

He stood there full of pride as the Monegasque national anthem played. He looked down and me, and blew a kiss. Pride surged through me.

Finally, he was champion and he was mine.