Chapter 13

"Why didn't you tell me any of this?" Caitlin sat opposite me on her carpet.

"I didn't want to burden you," I shrugged, sniffing, wiping my tears.

"Don't ever say that," Caitlin shook her head at me. "Don't ever keep anything like that to yourself."

"I won't, I promise," I smiled at her.

"Ok good, now, how are you going to tell Charles?"

I sighed. I knew I had to tell Charles. What was he going to think? "Yeah, yeah I know."

"Because you don't know what that woman will do now she's here," Caitlin said seriously.

"I don't wanna think about her."

"That's fine, let's talk about something else," Caitlin looked up. "Are you coming to Canada this weekend?"

"I hadn't even thought about it."

"You have to come, Canada is amazing. It's so beautiful," Caitlin smiled and the door to another room opened.

"I smelt food," Lando walked in, his headset around his neck. "Oh, hello y/n, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, um just wanted to catch up with Caitlin," I smiled nervously.

"Oh right," he turned into the kitchen. "Are they brownies?"

Caitlin rolled her eyes and walked over to the kitchen. "Yes, they're for y/n."

"Why do you never make brownies for me?"

They continued to squabble with each other while I checked my phone. I had a few messages off Macey and Ella after I had told them the 'mother situation' over FaceTime. I plucked up the courage to text Charles.

Charles 🛞

How's it going?

It would be better with you here

They all want to meet you

What's up?

Can you come to mine after you leave?

Yeah sure

Are you ok?

I'm fine 😊

Text me when you're on your way

"Go back to your stream," Caitlin laughed, pushing Lando out of the room while he had a mouth full of brownie.

She shut the door and brought the remaining brownies to where I was sitting.

"They look amazing, but I'm going to have to take some home," I smiled at her as I took one off the plate.

"You're going?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna catch up with Charles," I smiled as she clapped her hands.

"That's great! It'll definitely take the weight off your shoulders," Caitlin packed the brownies into tinfoil and handed it to me.

"I hope so," I said. "Thank you for everything tonight."

"Anytime."

I unlocked my door and walked into my apartment. I noticed something pushed under my door. It was a small piece of paper. I put down my brownies and picked it up.

You forgot to mention where you lived! Doesn't matter, I found it anyway!
Love Mum x

My heart stopped. I read it again and again and again. How could she have found my apartment?

Fear crawled over my skin. I ran over to the window and closed the curtains I felt panic washing over me as I poured myself a glass of water. Tears rolled down my face. Why did she get to me like this?

Knocking was heard at the door. Was that her? I wiped the tears from my cheeks and walked to the door. I looked through the peep hole.

It was Charles.

I threw the door open and rushed into his arms. The door closed softly behind us as I cried into his chest.

"What's the matter y/n?" Charles looked down at me and kissed the top of my head. "It's ok."

We stood like that in the hallway, I finally felt safe.