Chapter 12

It was a cool June evening on the harbour. There was a restless breeze in the air that was on the brink of being too cold.

The harbour was my favourite place in the whole city. It was a stones throw from my apartment and served as a great place to gather your thoughts and asses life. Charles had just dropped me off before he went to his older brother's engagement party. He had invited me to go, but a family party wasn't really my scene, especially since I hadn't been formally introduced to them yet.

"Y/n?" The voice from behind me made my blood turn cold and my skin prickle.

I turned around and there she was. "Mum?" How did she find me? The thought made my skin crawl.

"Oh sweetie it's been such a long time," she looked at me, her brown hair long and wavy, she looked the same as she did that night.

"What are you doing here?" My voice was shaking, I looked around the road, there were still people about, we weren't totally alone.

"I told you, I was coming to visit you and your boyfriend," her voice was sickly sweet and condescending. "Where is he?"

"At a party."

"And he left you alone? What kind of man is he?"

"I didn't want to go to the party," she was annoying me now. Who was she to barge in my life and question my boyfriend? "It's a family thing."

"Always accept an invitation to a party y/n," she shook her head at me, obviously disappointed. "Why don't we go and meet him? I'd love to meet his family."

"Um,no," I stuttered trying to think of an excuse or something to say. "I have to be somewhere to be."

"Where?"

"Caitlin's house," she was the first name to pop into my head.

"As in your old friend Caitlin? From back home?"

"Yes, she lives here with her boyfriend," I nodded, making my way towards the road so I could get a taxi.

"Why don't I come with you?" This woman was not giving up.

"Oh no it's ok, she just wants advice on something that's all," I was thinking so quickly my brain was getting frazzled. "She wants advice on the new paint she bought."

"At half 9 at night?"

"Yes," I tried not to let my face give me away.

"You're not lying to me y/n are you?" He voice changed, it was cold and sharp, like the sound of nails on a chalkboard. "You know I hate liars."

"I'm not lying," I could feel my heart racing and my skin prickling. Fortunately, a cab turned the corner. "Look, here's my taxi."

"Ok, then I'll see you soon," she stepped back from me. "I hope to see your boyfriend too."

"I'm sure you will," I climbed into the car. "Bye."

I told the driver to go before I could look back at her. I arrived at Caitlin's a few minutes later and told her everything.