Chapter 22

Charles' pov

"Y/n," I walked towards her.

She shook her head and slammed the door behind her. I stood there, staring at the white hotel room door.

I thought of following her. I thought of the tears on her face and wanting to wipe them all away and tell her I'd never leave her. I grabbed the handle. Something was stopping me from opening it. Her face was so broken when she left, she was so hurt, and I had caused it. I moved away from the door.

I went back to the couch and flopped onto the couch. When did life get so difficult? I stared up at the ceiling. I put my hands on my face and groaned. Was she really gone?

My phone pinged on the table next to me. I threw my arm out next to me and fumbled around until I found the phone.

Lando

Do you want to come out for a drink with me and Carlos later?

I think I'm just going to stay in tonight

Does this have anything to do with y/n?

How do you know about that?

She's here

With Caitlin and Macey and Ella.

Is she ok?

Not really, I've been told not to talk about anything

Ok, I'll come for a drink then

Good, see you in a bit

I sighed and sat up on the couch. Going out should take my mind off things. I sat up and rubbed my hands across my face.

I walked down to the waiting car outside the lobby of the hotel.

"Evening," Lando said as I hopped in the back of the car.

"Hello," I clipped my seatbelt.

"You look like you need a drink," Carlos said from the passenger seat. "What exactly happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"You have to talk about it for your own sanity," Lando said driving down the slightly damp streets. "Plus, we want to know what happened."

"Yes, we do, she seemed very upset when I went round to Lando's," Carlos added.

"Fine, but let's have a drink first," I sighed, slumping back into the leather seats.

"Way ahead of you mate," Lando chuckled. "We are going to the best pub around."

The car rolled to a stop after a 20 minute drive. It was a cool English night, the sun hung low in the sky and reflected off the damp roof of the pub. It looked very busy as the noise of happy people poured out into the car park.

"Are you sure people won't recognise us?" I said nervously as we opened the door.

"Charles, relax will you?" Carlos laughed.

"Yeah, Carlos is right. Plus, these people will be here for one thing, the pre season game between Arsenal and City," Lando said. "They'll barley even notice us."

Lando was right. A large group of people gathered around a fairly small TV in the corner of the room. They were all equipped with a pint or two and were  talking very loudly over the noise of the commentary. Lando ordered our drinks and we sat down at a table, away from the crowd.

"Well this is different," I commented, taking it all in.

"Don't tell me you've never been in pub?" Lando nearly choked on his drink.

"Even I've been in a pub," Carlos sighed.

"First time for everything."

"Now you've got a drink in you," Lando said. "What happened?"

I explained quickly and as efficiently as I could, not wanting to relive the moment just yet. I couldn't read their expressions when I finished telling my story.

"So, let me get this straight," Lando took another sip of his drink. "You payed her off her evil mother, didn't tell her about it, then called her dramatic?"

"Sounds about right," I winced as he said it out loud.

"Oh Charles, that's a whole new level of stupid," Carlos shook his head.

"Thanks."

"What happened after that?" Lando continued.

"Erm well she left and I lay on the couch, then you texted me," I said, as both of them tutted and shook their heads.

"Amigo, you didn't follow her. She wanted you to follow her," Carlos patted me on the shoulder.

"How was I supposed to know that?" I ran my hand through my hair. "I'm not a mind reader."

"You need to become a mind reader. She wanted you to fight for her," Lando shook his head in disappointment. "After about 50 fights you start to pick up on things."

Carlos nodded. "Have you tried calling her?"

"No."

"I'd leave it a while. She was devastated when she came to ours. I didn't hear the story before I was banished," Lando finished his ale. "Call her tomorrow."

"Right, fuck, I've messed up," I rolled me head back.

"You can say that again," Carlos laughed.

All of a sudden a loud cheer rose from the crowd. Arsenal had scored.