XXV. I WAS BUSY

I looked Alec up and down and he looked the same, if not better from the tan he got while in California. I don't know what I was expecting, maybe for him to look tired and distraught for not seeing me for so long, maybe guilty or even somewhat sorry for not calling, or maybe that type of shít only happens in books and movies and I was expecting too much of him.

"Alec." I replied curtly.

He didn't even look as if he wanted to apologize, judging by his usual confident demeanor.

We stood there, staring at each other for God knows how long, in silence. Maybe he was waiting for me to say something and not the other way around.

He took and deep breath and momentarily closed his eyes as if gathering all of his courage  to say what he was about to say; honestly, that scared me. Was this the end? Was Alec going to stand before me right now and utter those dreaded words?

He opened his mouth to speak and I knew it was coming, I shut my eyes, trying to prepare for what I thought was the inevitable so I wouldn't break down in front of him.

"I'm sorry." He finally said.

The breath I was withholding expelled from my lungs and I looked at Alec square in the eye.

"What?" I asked like I had heard him wrong.

"I'm sorry." He repeated.

I waited for an addition, an explanation after that insignificant apology he gave me. Once I realized that it wasn't coming, I snapped out of the state of mind I was in, returning to my regular self.

That asshole.

"You're sorry? Sorry for what?" I challenged him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Come on Valentina, you know for what, for not calling. Just accept it so we can move on." He replied.

He didn't seem sincere at all. Was this the same man that I thought I knew, or was he some doppelgänger?

"Just accept it so we can move on? Are you even sorry?" I inquired.

He sighed and shifted in his spot, "Of course I'm sorry, I wouldn't be here if I wasn't. Don't be mad, I didn't come here to argue." He reached out his hand to caress my face and I flinched away from his touch.

I didn't believe his bullshit for one second.

"Who are you right now? Alec I want a proper apology and an explanation from you." I demanded.

The last thing I wanted to do was make a scene in the parking lot of where I currently worked, but I was going to get this out right here, right now.

"An explanation for what!"

"I didn't hear from you in two weeks! I think I at least deserve a fûcking reason for that!"

"I was busy."

"Busy doing what?"

He faltered for a moment and my heart dropped.

"Are you cheating on me?" I suddenly asked.

I hate to impose this on him but the way his face looked seconds ago was like a kid being caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"No, I'm not cheating! Why would you even think that?" I wave of hurt crossed his face and I felt guilty for asking him.

"Because!  I don't know what to think anymore. You're acting different these days."

"Valentina I--"

"You know what? I'm tired right now, I can't do this. I'll call you later okay?" I said, fed up with this whole conversation.

"Bye."