chapter four: the event

A week later Natalia had just put on her uniform when suddenly there was a knock. She went over to the door and saw Mrs. Murphy standing in the hallway.

„Good Morning Natalia"

„Good Morning Mrs. Murphy. How can I help you?"

"There's an event today that Mr. Peña asked for your help," Mrs. Murphy explained.

"My help?"

"Yes, he asked for you specifically" she relied.

„Oh, uh of course. What should I do?" Natalia asked nervously. She had managed to not see Mr. Peña for the past week. And actually she had hoped to avoid him for a little longer.

"Come with me, I'll show you everything"

A few minutes later they were standing in the great hall. And Mrs. Murphy told Natalia to set the table and get the flowers and decorations.

"When you're done, let Mr. Peña know"

"Let him know?"

"Yeah, once you're done, go up to him and let him know. He then explains everything else"

Natalia nodded overwhelmed and watched Mrs Murphy as she left the room. Fuck. She really liked her new job. But right now, she would rather do anything than work today.

She didn't want to be constantly reminded of her one night stand and how he dumped her in the morning. And to see him again now, as her new boss, felt embarrassing and humiliating to her.

But right now she needed the job badly, so she set the table.
She decorated it with flowers and candles. And when she was done, she mustered up all her courage to go up to the 10th floor.

When she got to his office, she was about to knock on the door when it opened by itself, and a woman walked out of the room. The woman gave Natalia a disparaging look as she straightened her tousled hair and blouse.

Natalia looked surprised after her as she went to the elevator and then stared at the door again. Did he just have sex in his office?

Should she really come in now? Or should she come back later? But Mrs. Murphy told her to let him know as soon as she was done, and she didn't want him to think she was taking too long.

So she took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Come in"

She slowly opened the door and then saw Mr. Peña standing by the window smoking a cigarette.

"What do you want?" he asked and Natalia stared at him briefly before looking down at the floor. He was wearing a white shirt and his tie was open around the collar.

"Mrs. Murphy asked me to let you know when I'm done"

He nodded and took a drag on the cigarette. And Natalia immediately noticed how she got a bit nauseous. Although she didn't smoke herself, she never had a problem when others smoked in front of her. But for the past few days, the smell has made her nauseous. Every time Mary or Peter smelled like cigarettes, Natalia felt like throwing up.

"Right, I'll take a look in a few minutes. Sit down for a moment"

Natalia sat down on the chair and stared at the desk when she saw a note with her name on it. After a few seconds he also sat down across from her and she felt herself getting even more nervous.

He noticed how her facial expressions changed a bit after he blew out the smoke, "Does that bother you?" he asked.

"It's your office Sir, you can do whatever you want" she replied.