Chapter 13

It had been six weeks since I last saw or heard from Pedri. I missed him, and the way he'd be so easy going and kind. I missed our friendship.

My friendship with Will and Mandy on the other hand, had crumbled down to dust. Mandy refused to talk to me, and my ego was too big to text or call first. Will avoided me at all costs, walking out of the kitchen if I entered.

I sighed, taking the customer's order. "You know, I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop with that sighing, you've done that four times already within the span of the 30 seconds that you've been standing here", The blonde barked, "Leave your job if you don't like it, but stop spreading that negativity till then". I inhaled deeply, before putting on a fake smile, "I'm sorry for that, ma'am. A coffee and an almond croissant? I'll be right back".

Working was getting harder, especially when my former friend was spreading rumors about me being a deadbeat friend. To add salt to the wound, the media had written disgusting articles about me being a random escort, who ran around with not just football stars, but anyone who would pay.

"Jere, a coffee and an almond croissant for table 8, can you please take over for me", I requested, not wanting to face my customer.

"Why? So you can slack off work like you slacked off as a friend?"

I clenched my fists, quietly walking into the kitchen. Everything was taking a negative toll on me, it was getting harder and harder to ignore my co-workers' passive aggressive remarks and taunts.

"Evelyn!! Excuse me, I'm looking for an Evelyn , she works here..I think. Brunette, 5'2..."

I walked out of the kitchen, to notice a small crowd around a tall figure. He laughed when a woman questioned, "Who's your girlfriend today?". "It could be you", He smiled, casually putting his arm around her as she blushed, smiling seductively; running her tongue along her teeth. "If I'd known you'd be here today, I'd have dressed better", My blonde customer gushed, fixing her hair.

I internally kicked myself for ever getting out of the kitchen, before starting to make my way back.

"There she is! Ev!! Here!", Nico shouted, waving his hand frantically in the air, like I couldn't see his towering figure.  I face palmed myself, embarrassment running through my body. "Can we talk outside, there's not much privacy here", He stated. I rolled my eyes; what did he expect? . I quickly checked my watch, just in time for my 15 minute break.

He held my hand, quickly pulling me through the crowd. "I don't have all day, and it's urgent", Nico crowed, "We're going for a drive". I stared at the Bugatti. "I'll get fired, if I'm a second late, so say whatever you have to, here", I stated, folding my arms. Nico sighed, as though it was exhausting for him. "My mom wants you to attend my Aunt's wedding with us, it's this Saturday". I stared at him. He couldn't be serious.

"I can't do it Nico", I began, "You need to come clean to your parents, we can't lie to them forever".

"Not forever, they'll die eventually", He casually replied. 

A hard punch met his face, before he fell back, staggering.

"What the fuck?!!"

"They're your parents, Nico, and they've been there for you. I didn't expect you to be such a scumbag", I stated nonchalantly, before getting back into the cafe. A bad, bad mistake.

It was closing time.

"Evelyn, can I talk to you?". I looked up to see Elena poking her head out of her office. I nodded, abandoning my mop on the way to her office. "Have a seat", She instructed, uncomfortably fiddling with her fingers. "The other employees...They're a bit uncomfortable with um..all the attention you're bringing to the cafe...unnecessary attention, you know, that disrupts work and the normal flow of customers". I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, "I-I'm sorry but I don't-", I stammered, unable to find the right words to explain my situation. "I won't beat around the bush, and I'll make it quick and simple for you, dear", Elena sighed, "I'll have to fire you". 

"What? I've been a good employee, Elena, you know it too, and you can't just fire me for the things other people do!", I protested.

"I'm sorry, but-"

"Leave it be", I mumbled.

My head fogged up as I collected my things and walked out of the cafe. I hated my life. Just a few weeks back, everything had been perfect and now it was all disappearing before my eyes. I thought back to the roots of my problems. Pedri and Gavi . I silently cursed the day I'd met them. The interactions, the fights, and everything that followed since our meeting were what had caused me to lose everything. And where were they now? Living their lives unbothered, like I was just another girl they'd met on the street by accident.

"That's what happens when you think that guys are anything more than selfish, narcissistic pigs", My conscience spat, making me flinch, "I'm warning you again, Evelyn, don't feel those feelings ever again. It happened once and maybe it was good because you experienced it first hand and now know better than to submit to those vile feelings; I trust you to be stronger".

I nodded, clenching my jacket as I walked the dark road, alone. Fear gripped me suddenly, when I noticed hat there was no one visible, other than me. My conscience had suddenly shut up as well.

"Evelyn"

The hair on the back of my neck stood up as I quickened my pace.  The cold sweat ran down my face, making me dizzy with fear.

"Evelyn"

My heart raced as I began to run.

"Evelyn wait!!"

"Leave me alone you CREEP!!", I shouted, fumbling in my bag for the taser.

"EVELYN!!", The voice shouted again. It sounded demonic.

"Let me go!!", I screamed, shutting my eyes when the person grabbed me and pinned me down to the pavement.

"EVELYN, IT'S ME!!"

"I don't care WHO you are, Satan, LET ME GO!!", I screamed.

"Open your fucking eyes!!"

I opened my eyes slowly, sweat on my eyelashes making everything blurry at first.

"Ah..fuck it"

A flashlight shone on my face before shifting to the person.

"What're you doing here? Why'd you come here?", I asked, getting up.

"I had to"

"But-"

"I have to discuss something with you, and it's important", He said, "Somewhere...private"

"I thought you didn't want to talk. Ever"

"Now I do, and it's important".

I nodded, a million things running through my mind, as I walked alongside the person I never thought would want to talk to me again.