Chapter 50: Surprises

Ashley's POV

"Tristan is going to propose?" I asked. The tears suddenly stopped flowing as my mouth became dry.

I must have heard wrong. There was no way that would happen.

"Yes," Layla answered with a sigh. "I probably shouldn't have said anything. But anyway, we need to get you prepared for the day. We still have to decide on the dress and everything else," she replied.

I couldn't hold it in anymore. I tried to contain it but laughter abruptly erupted from my stomach.

I was beating the ground and holding my stomach to contain myself.

I had forgotten I was crying a minute ago.

She must have been joking.

Layla stared at me like I was some lunatic. I'm pretty sure right now she was thinking about having me committed instead of marrying me off to her son.

How did she even make this one up?

I knew she was crazy but her madness had gone too far for her to make up something like this.

"You've-just-made-my-day," I said as I continued laughing. My stomach was starting to hurt.

Laughing at this moment was the only thing that kept me sane.

Layla folded her arms as she stared at me sternly.

I was hoping that she would yell that it was a prank, but she never did. Was she serious?

"You are serious," I said, finally managing to stop myself.

"I can't say anything else because I've already said too much but I am sure this is happening." She answered.

Was I going insane and hearing things now? Maybe she was the one who needed to be committed.

"In that case," I sighed. "We'll probably have the shortest marriage in history. We'll be divorced within minutes of our marriage." I answered sarcastically.

Layla's face turned more serious as she bent down to sit next to me. "Look," she said. "This story doesn't end with him finding out the truth. It ends with you two together, and happy." She said.

Why did I like feel something bad was about to happen?

***

DAYS LATER

I picked my phone up from my nightstand and switched off the aeroplane mode.

I had twenty-three messages from Matthew, my dad.

I was still coming to terms with everything so the way I chose to deal with it was by ignoring it.

The father I wished for my whole life had turned into the man I wanted to avoid. I wasn't ready for the implications of being his daughter. Thinking about it, my life was perfect as it was.

With all those messages, there were none from Tristan.

I told myself that it was okay, that it was good for me to learn to be without him so my heart wouldn't hurt so much when I finally came to terms with the fact that I had to let him go. Maybe I will slowly forget him.

That's when the thought registered. Today was my birthday!

A smile spread across my face as I stared at the ceiling.