Chapter 25: Spilled the secret

Ashley's POV

My phone rang on my nightstand as Layla's name popped up.

I've been avoiding her since last night. I'm too afraid of what she would say to me.

She is always updated on her information. I fear she might already know what happened between Tristan and I and that scares me a lot.

I can still remember her words ringing in my eyes: 'Don't get too attached' and here I was, very much getting attached to him. What was I doing kissing him back like that?

But anyway, I didn't have time for that right now. I was rushing around the house, doing my best not to be late for work.

The other hand was putting on my shoes as I grabbed my keys with the other.

"Ashley," Mom called out. She was standing right behind me. "We need to have a talk," she said.

"Can we talk later? I'm in a rush," I answered.

"No sweetheart, this is more important." Mom insisted.

She pointed back to the living room. She wanted me to sit. The sooner I comply, the better.

"You know, I was at your age too, I get it. I know because I was in the place you are in. I didn't listen to my parents either. I sneaked out and I was always lying about where I was, and then I got pregnant with you." She spoke.

I knew where this was going.

"I'm not going to get pregnant," I said. "Besides, I never lied about where I was going," I replied.

"You know, I said the same thing too. Here I am with two daughters. I don't want you to end up pregnant and alone like I had to go through it," she continued.

I was about to be late for work because of this?

"Is mom giving you the talk?" Katy laughed coming downstairs.

"You should sit for this too." Mom pointed.

"The only place I ever go is to school. Those kids are too rich to even sit with me. How am I supposed to get pregnant?" Katy laughed. "You know what we should really be talking about? That guy who you talked to on the phone last night," Katy said. She folded her arms, facing mom in a challenging manner.

"Don't be silly," mom said, throwing her hand over her shoulder.

"I heard you last night. How you were laughing and telling each other that it had been many years since you last saw each other. That you miss each other, all the lovey-dovey stuff. I know what I heard." Katy replied.

I joined in, staring at mom with my arms folded. "Who was it, mom?" I asked with a serious face.

"You guys are acting crazy. I only spoke to a client for a few minutes." Mom spoke.

"So, you were talking to someone?" Katy asked. "Mom, we just want to let you know that we are not interested in a stepdad. That is unless he can buy us a mansion and buy us each a car." Katy shot mom another look before making her way out of the house. Her driver had arrived.

I looked at mom in disapproval before looking at my watch to see that time, I was running late.

"We are going to finish this conversation when I get back," I assured her.

Mom sighed as both Katy and I rushed out of the house.

I nearly missed the bus by a second. Thankfully, the driver was kind enough to stop after a car nearly ran over me as I tried to cross the road.