Chapter 1: The spoiled princess

Ashley's POV

"Bye Sam," I waved the manager goodbye.

He smiled as he watched me run out of the bakery in a hurry.

18:30, I checked my watch.

Which meant I had just half an hour before my shift at the hotel started. My shift ended a little later than usual today, we had a busy day with lots of orders coming in.

Today was my last day since I was only filling in for a friend, this meant I was back on the job market, I needed to look for another part-time job. Well, I needed to run before I lost my other job.

I held my hand out, stopping the bus that was just about to leave.

"Ashley," The driver smiled as I stepped into the bus, breathing heavily.

"Thanks, Brian," I answered.

Let's just say I was used to being late.

It was a twenty-minute drive to the hotel I worked, if I ran fast enough, I'd be able to make it on time. I counted every minute as I anxiously tapped my feet. Ever since I was hired, my manager has been looking for a reason to fire me, it doesn't help that I'm the last one to arrive.

I stepped out of the bus, only a block away from the hotel. You could see it from a mile away. It was the tallest building in the district.

I stared at the building as I usually do, with the big sigh reading 'New Ravens suites'. It was the best place to be if you were a guest and the worst if you worked there.

It's crazy how one person owns all of this. It's one of the top hotels in the city, with a five-star restaurant that's on the first floor. Guests get the best view of the city and even their own private jacuzzi among many things. Not to mention the priceless artwork in many of the rooms, the only way to get a room here is through connections. Staying here for just one-night costs a lot more than an arm and a leg.

I opened my bag pack, grabbing my uniform. My first stop was to the locker rooms, for me to change in record time.

"Shot," I whispered stepping out of the locker rooms.

Around this time, everyone was already in a meeting. Marcus, our manager liked to gather us around for a little 'word of encouragement' before we started our shift.

I slipped into the crowd unnoticed as Marcus began giving his speech.

"Maddison Riley," Marcus spoke above the crowd. "That is who you are going to be serving,"

There were whispers amongst the crowd as everyone looked at each other.

Maddison Riley was pretty much a celebrity, she was once in this famous commercial, and that's how she got everyone's attention. But mostly, her fame comes from her family's money, her parents own a really big construction company while she owned a famous boutique with top designer clothes.

I spotted my friend Ivy at the corner of the room.

"Hi," I whispered to Ivy standing next to her.

"If you were late by another minute, I'm pretty sure he was going to fire you." She whispered.

"He is always exaggerating," I answered.

We continued listening to Marcus.

"I don't need to remind any of you how important she is." He raised an eyebrow.

Marcus was a middle-aged man probably in his late thirties, most people say that he only got the job as the manager because his father was the previous manager who had to retire, but when he wasn't busy overworking us, he was good at his job. Mostly because he was trying to get promoted to another hotel branch downtown.