The promise to be kept, the fate to be broken(1)

Somewhere between Astana and Base Smaoi,

Between two huge mountains part of the Tien Shan range, there lay a beautiful and serene lake. With flocks of goats grazing freely across the mountains, this place looked like the most peaceful place on earth. And yet, suddenly, that peace was disturbed. With no warning whatsoever, a young boy appeared above the lake in mid air and started falling down at an alarming rate. And just as fast as he appeared, he suddenly disappeared too, right before he fell into the lake.

Ten seconds later, about 40 km away from the lake, on a mountain slope, the same boy abruptly fell onto the ground. Crouching over the ground, the boy clutched his stomach as if in deep pain. Muffled sounds of grunts and groans came from the boy, and he slowly sat properly. Looking around, the boy said,

"Argh! At this rate, I will probably reach base in 7 minutes! That's too long! Ow!," came a cry, as he tried to stand up, only to fall down again.

"Damn it! Most protagonists grow stronger as they get wounded, why the hell is it the opposite for me?! Heck, my powers are literally increasing as I speak, and yet, that's not good! The distance I can teleport is getting lesser and lesser the more I teleport, all because my body is so broken up*. Gah! I would love to take a rest, but I can't afford to! I need to continue," and after saying that, he forced himself up and then stepped forward, once again disappearing into wherever he came from.

And finally, about 10 minutes after leaving Astana, Alaukik appeared in the vicinity of Base Smaoi. Since he was coming from the north, Alaukik appeared on top of one of the mountains surrounding the base, about 30 km away from the base. However, what he saw from here left him powerless, and he fell onto his knees. For in front of him lay the remains of what used to be Base Smaoi, now turned to ash and dust. However, a bit further away from the base, he sensed two groups of people fighting. A group of barely 15 people with a tank in the midst were surrounded by another group of over 50,000 people and another tank. Seeing this, a spark called hope was lit in Alaukik's heart, and he immediately began teleporting towards the smaller group. And yet, his injuries, which were now even worse due to the constant teleportation, made it so that teleporting even a distance of 35 km took time, time that he didn't have. But still, he tried, and so, in what would usually be 'just' ten seconds, he appeared in the middle of where the group should've been.

It should've been, and yet, it was no longer there, because in those ten seconds, the tank from the opposite side had shot at the smaller group, who, already tired from the previous fighting, had no more energy to defend against the shot. And so, in just five seconds, 12 out of the 15 men were killed, and the surviving three were on their last breath. However, sensing the three alive, Alaukik got close to them, and no matter how painful it was for him to teleport four people at the same time, he did. Together with the three survivors, he teleported away from the battlefield and into the Base, where he might be able to fix them up.

Meanwhile, the soldiers who were surrounding the group fell into confusion, for they saw a boy just appear, hold three people and then just disappear again.

"Uhhh, Fie, did you just see what I just saw?"** asked a soldier to another standing beside him.

"I think so? But, that can't be true right? I mean, that's just not possible. Even with magic, just appearing and disappearing is impossible right?! We even have this place surrounded! So that can't be just invisibility magic! That's right! It must have been a hallucination!"

"Right! I was thinking the same thing. I guess the continuous climbing, hiding and then fighting finally started to show its effects on our body huh."

And while these soldiers might have brushed it off as their imagination and started to celebrate their victory, inside one of the buildings that managed to stand together during the bombing, Alaukik appeared, along with three other men. He decelerated time for them, hoping it could do something, however the moment he did, he started coughing loudly, and even spit out blood. Suddenly, one of the three soldiers said,