Leaving the Base

Back at base Smaio, Alaukik's company had gathered around the ground once again. And as they were waiting, many in the company started to discuss the reason they were called out here for.

"Hey, do you know why we were called out here? We don't have any exercises to do, nor are we holding another competition. Why would the major even call us out here?"

"I don't know man, it's already so hot here in the afternoon, having to stand in the sun for god knows what is just making me more angry."

"Hot?! Bro, it's barely 30 degrees here! If you want to talk about heat, go to the southern or western part of the Federation. You'll be cooked in the heat *laugh*."

"Nobody asked you, Vishal. Heck, aren't you a bit close to the major? He's usually so distant with everyone except Vinay, that it gets kinda hard to talk to him sometimes. But now that I think about it, don't you and the major spend a lot of time together? Did he tell you anything about why we're gathered here?"

"Huh? We aren't that close... in fact, the only reason he even talks to me is to usually puni- uhh, just to help do some odd jobs for him. In fact, it would be better if you asked either Vinay or Usman. They're way closer to the major than me."

"I would have asked Vinay, but he isn't here. He got called by the major before we were gathered here, and Usman is standing on the far side of the formation. I don't want to disrupt the formation by shouting out loudly and then being taught a lesson by the major. I still remember his lessons clearly..." replied the soldier with a scared face.

"Hahaha! Grow a few bones Rafiq! How long will you stay scared of the major? You're a user of Agni magic! You're supposed to be fiery and strong! Look at me, even after seeing the major in action so many times, I'm still not afraid!"

As he finished his sentence, Vishal looked at Rafiq's face, only to notice that he had gone dead quiet, and was staring straight ahead without blinking. With dread in his heart, Vishal slowly turned around to face the front, and noticed Alaukik floating in front of the entire company, and staring* straight at him. Hoping that Alaukik had not heard what he said, Vishal looked straight at Alaukik and shouted,

"Good afternoon major!"

Seeing Vishal do this, the rest of the company also greeted Alaukik,

"GOOD AFTERNOON MAJOR!"

"I'm glad you're in good spirits everyone, especially you Vishal. After all, you're going to need that energy for quite a few ... odd jobs to do today," Alaukik replied with a smirk on his face.

Hearing this, Vishal's heart immediately wilted like a flower in winter, although he managed to control himself from completely falling into despair.

"Now everyone, I know all of you are wondering why I've gathered you all here, and that is because of a very important reason. I will be leaving on an important mission, and will not be returning for maybe a few months. In these few months without me in the Base, it will be your duty to make sure that everything is running properly in our company, and to protect the base from enemy attacks. Of course, the other companies and their commanders will also be helping you, but as you are the only mage company in this base, you will have a greater responsibility on your shoulders. Anyways, remember to act with dignity, and not let loose just because I'm not here. Vinay will now explain fully what is going to happen. Ah! One more thing, Vinay will also be coming with me. Well then, remember to behave. If I come back and hear any complaints of you causing trouble for the others in the base, you better be ready for punishment far greater than the ones you've been through."

Saying all of this, Alaukik immediately teleported away from the grounds and into his tent. Seeing this, Vinay came forward and then started to inform the company of what exactly was going to happen.