Chapter 13

"Papa, what would you like for your birthday?" Aria asks while the three of us sit around the table, eating dinner together once I have arrived home from the restaurant.

"Nothing because I have everything I could ever want with you, Preston, Jordan, and Finn, " I answer with a warm smile before taking a bite of the baked spaghetti I brought home from work that was leftover.

Aria pouts at me for several seconds before her pout turns into a sly smile. I know what that smile of her's means - she knows what she is gonna get me, despite my not wanting her to buy me anything, but I know better than try to argue with her over this.

"What do you want for your birthday?" I ask her in return, even though I have an an idea what I am gonna buy her for her eighteenth birthday.

I am thinking of buying two gift certificates - one for her to either get a tattoo or piercing, and one for a newborn/family photo shoot once Preston is born, and she wants the session done.

"Since my birthday is on Friday, I was wondering if you could not work that day, and you could spend the day with me?" she hopefully asks. "That is all I want for my birthday."

Smiling softly at her with a tiny nod; "I can absolutely do that for you, and your birthday."

She broadly grins at me with a slight bounce in her seat as she eagerly thanks me, and I hum in acknowledgement. I am happy that I can make her happy by giving her this simple request, but I am still going to give her actual gifts, too.

"What would you like to do on your birthday?" I ask with a smile.

"Um, can I think on this for a while?" she sweetly answers with a hopeful smile.

Giving her a nod; "Of course you can, Rooster."

"Oh, I was also wondering if Finn could spend part of the day with us, too?" she asks with a curious expression.

Tilting my head off to the side curiously; "On your birthday, is that what your are asking?"

She nods eagerly; "Yeah, that is what I am asking, but only if you and Finn want this of course."

Broadly grinning at her; "Thanks, Rooster. I will ask him after dinner."

After dinner, and everything is cleaned, they go to their room while I head to mine, so I can shower, and then call Finn with Aria's request along with just wanting to talk with him. I miss him, and his lovely voice. I am falling hard and fast for that lovely man. Climbing under the covers and settling on the bed on my side with my head on the pillow, I grab my phone off the nightstand to video call Finn.

Hey answers on the third ring with a toothy grin; "Hi Hay, how are you? I miss you."

"Hi Finn, I miss you, too. I am good, and how are you?" I reply with a large grin. "How has your day been?"

"I am good, too, and my day was busy, but that made the day fly by faster," he grins wider. "Also getting to see your beautiful face, and your sweet voice has made my day even better."

We talk for a while longer about our days before I finally ask him about Aria's request; "Hey, um, quick question for you from Rooster. Her eighteenth birthday is next week, and she has requested I take the day off, so we can spend it together, and she said she would like you to spend the day with us too, if you would like, that is?"

"Really, she asked that?" he asked with a surprised tone. "I take you are taking the day off even though her birthday is on Friday which is your busy day at the restaurant? Nice! When, where, and what would she like as a gift from me?"

"I will let you know the time when she let's me know those answers, but probably in the morning of Friday," I answer, feeling excited that he has agreed to this. "Um, you do not have to buy her a gift."

Finn instantly pouts; "I would really like to get her something, so what should I get her?"

Biting my lower lip for a moment before asking; "Um, if you would like, you can go in with me on the gift certificates I am going to buy her?"

"Oh, what are you planning on buying?" he grins with excited eyes as he shifts his position on his bed to where he is now sitting with his back against the headboard.

"I want to buy her a photo shoot for after the baby is born for him and the kids, and a certificate for her to either get a tattoo or piercings," I answer with a nervous smile that he will think my ideas are stupid.

Elliot would never allow me to buy gifts for anyone at anytime while we were together. He always bought gifts, especially for Aria because he always said that my gift ides were either useless, stupid, or both.

"How about I do the photo shoot of them when they want that done for my gift, and you do the tattoo or piercings certificate?" Finn suggests eagerly with twinkling eyes.

Feeling like he is offering his profession because he has too because we are dating, and I feel a little like he does not want his gift to be associated with me.

"Please let me pay you for your time and profession?" I say, almost begging.

"Hayden, I really would like to give this to her as my gift," he gently argues.

"Okay," I whisper, not wanting to argue with him about this as long as this happens for Aria, and makes him happy.

I won't tell him that I am upset over this because it probably is not as big of a deal as I feel like this is.

We talk for another thirty minutes before we hangup for the night. I try to fall asleep for about thirty minutes before giving up, and climbing out of bed. Walking toward the front door, reaching the kids' room, I tell them I am going for a ride since they are still awake. After talking with them for a couple of minutes, I walk to the front door to slip on my shoes, and grab my keys from the bowl, and leave the apartment for a short drive.