Chapter 5

The last six days at work have been rough because Charlie is not speaking with me unless the topic is work related. Thomas contacted me Tuesday night to inform me that he tried speaking with her about what happened two days prior, but she held to what she said was correct. Thankfully Thomas, Arlington, Aria and Jordan are treating me the same as always.

Today I have decided to wander the park across the street from the apartment complex I live in since the weather is beautiful - the sun is brightly shining, and the temperature is around sixty-eight degrees. Locking the apartment door behind me, I stuff my keys into the front left pocket of my black, ripped jeans, and slip my cell into the other front pocket while I walk toward the elevator, listening to my music playing off my phone through my wireless earbuds. The kids are at Jordan's dad's home to hangout with his dad Jon, and his two younger sisters, Jessica and Josie.

Pressing the down arrow button on the panel on the wall for the elevator, I wait for about a minute before the door slides open with a soft ding, and I step inside. Pressing the lobby button, I ride the death box down because I do not feel like walking down the seven flights of stairs. Breathing out a sigh of relief when the door finally opens at the end, and I quickly exit and head for the door to walk across the street.

Walking at a leisurely pace along the cemented path, taking in the beautiful sights surrounding me with the sun hitting my body. The sun warms my entire body, and I cannot help the small smile spreading across my lips. I am not watching where I am walking, I slam into another body, and stumble backwards, failing my arms as I fall toward the hard ground. Squeezing my eyes tightly shut in preparation of my body hitting the ground, and the pain that is to come.

Flickering my eyes open in surprise when I do not land on the sidewalk, and the pain does not come. I find myself being held by the upper arms by Finn who is staring at me with wide eyes and slack jaw.

"Are you okay, Hayden?" he nervously asks as he makes sure I am standing upright, and that I will not fall.

"Y-yeah, thanks to you," I answer shakily as I bend down to pick up my fallen earbuds since these fell out when I started falling backwards. "I am sorry for not watching where I was going, and walking into you. Did I hurt you?"

I know I am rambling, a bad habit of mine when I am nervous.

Finn slightly chuckles as he shakes his head with a bright smile; "That was not a problem at all. Do not worry about bumping into me, and no, you did not hurt me. Your body bumping into me felt like a feather touching my body."

My jaw slacks in shock at his feather comment, and he chuckles at my expression; "Well, it is true, you are light as a feather."

Pouting at him as I shift my weight on my feet, I notice a camera bag slung across his chest by a black strap.

My heart sinks at the sight; "Did I, did I break your camera? If I did, I will buy you a new one."

Finn glances down briefly at the camera bag before looking back at me with a shake of his head; "No, you did not break the camera. The case is very durable, and it was slung off to the side when you walked into me."

"Okay," I timidly answer, not fully believing him while I chew on my lower lip. "What kind of photos do you like taking?"

He grins while gesturing for me to follow beside him, and we start walking the park together; "Everything. Anything that catches my attention, I photograph when I am out doing this for pleasure. While at work, I do everything from passport photos to parties.

"That is awesome," I reply shyly when an idea hits me. "Do you take photos of plated food for restaurants?"

"I have a couple of times, but not too often," he answers with a shrug of his shoulders.

"What do you charge for a session to do that?" I curiously ask as we look at our surroundings.

"Um, if the session is an hour, I charge twenty-five an hour, and thirty for every half an hour after the first hour," he answers after a moment. "Is this something you are interested in having done?"

"Yeah, I had it done a few years ago, but I did it myself off my phone," I answer bashfully. "I have some new recipes that I am working on, and once I am finished, I would love to have professional pictures done for the menu."

"I am your man if you would like," Finn says, stepping by the circular fountain in the middle of the park, and looks over at me.

Chewing on my lower lip, I give him a small nod; "I would really like that, Finn, thanks. I will let you know, like a week before I am ready. Is that enough time for you?"

"That should be fine, but we will figure that out when the time comes," he answers with a bright smile as he pulls his camera from the bag. "Do you mind if I take your picture in front of the fountain?"

My entire body flushes crimson at his question; "Um, okay?"

"I do not have too if you are uncomfortable," Finn quickly says, his smile faltering at my hesitation.

"No, I would like to do this if it makes you smile," I murmur. "Just please do not post the picture on any of your social medias."

"I won't, I promise," he quickly assures as he messes with the camera. "Why don't you stand facing the fountain, and then look over your shoulder toward me, please."

Silently nodding, I do as he has instructed, and I wait until he tells me has finished, and walk over to him. He shows me the three pictures he took of me, and I shyly tell him the pictures look really nice despite me being the main focus of the photos.

Finn scoffs at my comment; "Hush. You look amazing, and everything is great in the photos, Hayden."