50. Looking forward, into the future

A lot can happen in a year. Babies are born and people die. A young girl celebrates her 16th birthday and a young boy gets his first car.

Y/N
At the beginning of the year, you were starting your final year of college. You were enduring another year of college to achieve a BA in Philosophy. Then, the decision of a lifetime came along. Your year that was intended to be about studying, parties and - maybe boys - turned into a year of hardships, heartbreak, happiness and love.

Thanks to a certain class focusing on the study of Behavioural Analysis, your life changed forever.

SPENCER
At the beginning of the year, I was just an FBI Agent, working for the BAU. I was offered a position as a teacher at a college. I took the position, without losing my job at the BAU - which I greatly appreciated. I honestly believed that I'd ruin my class for the students who chose to sign up. I never expected to go through hardships, happiness and love all in year.

But, thanks to the class that I taught, my life changed forever.

———
(Exam Week)

GENERAL
Every day for Y/N was stressful. She was either studying for her exams, sleeping, eating or in the bathroom. She'd often be so engrossed in studying that Spencer had to physically drag her from his desk so she could eat. He often sat on the couch that was a couple feet from Y/N and watch her. He'd be reading a book, but look up and watch his girlfriend studying like her life depended on it. She reminded him of himself. She was studying hard like he used to. She was getting so engrossed in what she was reading that she'd forget to shower, or eat, or use the bathroom, like he used to.

On Monday, she studied all day. She took breaks - at the behest of Spencer, who just wanted to make sure she was okay.

On Tuesday, she was gone all day. She went to meet up with Alyssa before the exam. Then, she took her exam and came home later.

On Wednesday, she was once again gone all day. She got to her exam early and completed it. Then, she had some time with Alyssa and a group of their friends before she came home.

On Thursday, she spent half the day studying, and half the day relaxing with Spencer. The team were in North Dakota on a case, but Spencer stayed back, wanting to support his girlfriend through such a stressful time. It was during this time that Spencer made a very important decision.

On Friday, Y/N had her final exam. Spencer drove her to college and stood by his car as he wished Y/N the best of luck. He knew she'd ace her exam, but he wanted to be sure that Y/N knew he hoped the best for her. After her exam, she returned home, immediately going to bed. Spencer didn't question his girlfriend. Instead, he let her fall asleep, and changed her into pyjamas before getting changed himself. The moment he wrapped his arms around his girlfriend, she instantly rested her head on his chest as she slept.

———
(Present)

One week after taking her exams, it was time to get the results back. Y/N was nervous. She had worked so hard, and yet there was a tiny feeling in her brain that told her she had failed. When the email came through, she answered it without hesitation and spent the next 3 minutes crying in Spencer's arms in happiness. She had passed all of her exams, meaning she was graduating college with a BA in Philosophy.

Without Y/N's knowledge, Spencer had told the team, all of whom were more than happy to arrange a graduation party for their youngest member. So, on Saturday morning, while Spencer and Y/N were with Alyssa preparing for her graduation, the rest of the team were at Rossi's mansion setting up for an awesome party.

The ceremony itself was amazing. Y/N accepted her Philosophy diploma with grace and saw Spencer in the audience with his phone up. She smiled for a brief moment before walking off stage.

Y/N believed that she and Spencer would be at the apartment, just relaxing. Instead, she was confused when Spencer pulled up to Rossi's mansion.

"Spencer, what are we doing here?" Y/N asked, confused.

"Oh nothing. Just hanging out with the team, that's all." Spencer smiled, his hand intertwining with hers.

The couple walked up to Rossi's front door. They entered the massive house and walked through. Every step that Y/N took felt weird. None of the team seemed to be around. That was until they reached the backyard. It was at the point that the team jumped out and yelled "HAPPY GRADUATION!" and nearly made Y/N jump out of her skin.

"Y- You guys knew?" She asked, smiling.

"Spencer tends to reveal things when he's excited." JJ chuckled.

"Congrats on graduating, Y/N." Hotch hugged her. She happily hugged him back.

"OMG, my bestie has grown up!" Penelope hugged Y/N, who chuckled.

"Let's dance!" Derek cheered, turning up the music. He pulled Penelope in for a hug before they both started dancing. JJ shortly followed, pulling Emily in for some very cool dance moves. Rossi pulled out his phone and started recording, watching as Hotch was pulled to the dancefloor by Emily.

Y/N and Spencer watched on as their friends danced. Y/N swayed for a bit, swishing her ruby-red dress around before Spencer pulled her to the dancefloor. They danced for a bit. JJ stole Spencer away and Derek stole Y/N. Soon enough, Penelope had Y/N all to herself.

With a few chuckles, Penelope had Y/N's attention. Out of Penelope's line of sight, she watched as Derek held Spencer's shoulder, calming him down. The music had slowed down, but Y/N didn't notice. She was more interested in Penelope's new earrings to notice the fact that everyone else had moved back. Even Penelope had a huge smile on her face.

Y/N felt someone tap her on the shoulder, but when she turned around, what she saw, she wasn't expecting. In front of her, was Spencer down on one knee.

"It's been a year since I met you. The year has been very eventful to say the least, but I'm glad that I met you. You caught my interest. From my experience, it was rare that someone actually found my rambling to be interesting, but you seemed genuinely interested and I knew right then...that you were special. I knew right then and there that you were 1 out of 150. When you met my mother...I felt even more sure that I wanted you with me for the rest of my life. Y/N Y/L/N, will you marry me?" Spencer looked up at Y/N, who by this point, was in tears.

"Yes!" She squealed, immediately pulling Spencer up from his knee. She smiled in excitement as Spencer took the ring out of its box, placing the - absolutely gorgeous - ring on Y/N's left ring - finger. The moment it was secured onto her finger, he wrapped his arms around her torso and placed a long and passionate kiss on her lips, which she was happy to return with just as much passion.