43. Driving rage

Y/N
Spencer had messaged you the day after your exam, letting you know that he was ready for you to come home. Excited to finally spend some time with your boyfriend, you packed your bag and headed home, but the moment you pulled into the parking-lot of your apartment complex, you received a text from Hotch. Another case had come up. Soon enough, you arrived to the BAU, everyone now waiting on Spencer who was only like 2 minutes away.

"We're headed to Los Angeles where two murders in the last two days with the exact same M.O. have the authorities puzzled." Hotch announced as Spencer entered the conference room, repositioning his tie.

"The first homicide was yesterday following a hit and run in Eagle Rock. This man in a pickup rear ended this woman in a sedan, and then he got out of his car and he shot her." Penelope exhaled as she put the photos up on the screen.

"Twice in the chest at close range. He then fled the scene. Cops thought it was a road rage incident gone wrong until today." Hotch continued.

"A few hours ago, a second shooting happened following a violent accident, this time in Reseda. Similar pattern, and the same driver according to eyewitness accounts. This time he's in the SUV. He T-bones the red truck. He survives the crash, and just like before, he gets out, he walks right up to the other car and shoot the driver." Hotch recounts the events shown in the video that Penelope had put up one screen.

"We've seen cases of symphorophilia before, where a suspect gets off on staging a crash, but none that involved a gun." Derek shook his head.

"And given the fact that he's also the driver, I think it's more likely a case of autassassinophilia. It's an overlapping paraphilia in which an individual derives arousal or sexual pleasure from the thought of and or risk of being killed." Spencer spoke up, flipping through the file he had been given by JJ.

"Makes me think the vehicles are important to him in some way, like they're a part of what he's trying to do or say. Were any of the cars the suspect used reported stolen?" You asked, looking up at Penelope.

"Oh, yeah, both vehicles were reported missing prior to the accidents." Penelope confirmed, nodding.

"We've got the makings of a thrill killer here. A thrill killer at the start of a spree." Emily looked up at the screen in shock.

"With two dead and our primary suspect at large, the jet's standing by. Wheels up in 20." Hotch informed the team as he walked out of the conference room.

———
(On The Jet)

"Okay, so our first victim, Andrea Hinojosa, was 40 years old. She was a public defender for L.A. county, on her way to a courthouse when the shooter collided with her. It says here Andrea was single, lived alone. She was well respected, a rising star in her office." Rossi read as everyone looked at the files.

"We should focus on disgruntled clients, angry family members." Hotch looked to the computer screen in front of the team.

"I'm working on getting access to her client list as we speak." Penelope smiled.

"Our second victim, Paul Burke, was something of a rolling stone. He's been an Uber driver, a handyman, and most recently, a construction worker." You exhaled.

"He was headed to a job site when our shooter smashed into his truck and then shot him." Derek explained.

"Garcia, did Paul Burke and Andrea Hinojosa ever cross paths?" Spencer asked as everyone could see Penelope typing away.

"Yeah, it's still too early to say. Andrea had a lot of clients and cases that took her all over Los Angeles. Paul did, too, but his digital footprint isn't as strong as his peers'. Lucky for you guys, I eat digital footprints for breakfast. I'm ronkin' and tonkin' on this, so if there's a connection, I'll find out." Penelope smirked. She was clearly looking between 3-4 different screens.