The Secrets She Kept - Chapter 27

The cosy restaurant was buzzing when I pushed my way through the door, a small bell jingling overhead. Happy chatter filled the air, so at odds with the emotions churning inside of me. And yet, when Richie stood from the table and waved in greeting, it was like being bathed in the warmth of the sun. The sharp pain that was so intrinsically tangled up with the memories of the past was pushed aside. Soothed.

My lips automatically pulled up into an answering grin, my shoulders lifting and becoming less hunched under the brightness of his attention.

"I see your table is already here so go one through." The hostess stated, her gaze following the direction of my smile as she stepped to the side to let me pass.

Richie edged out from behind the table as I approached. He was in a new blue shirt, the lines of the fold still visible, and the tag still sticking out of the top. I tugged on the skirts of my dress as I approached. Maybe I should have done something with my hair? Or maybe I should have put on some make up?

I shook my head. When did I become that person? When did I care what other people thought?

I glanced at the other tables. Reached up and tucked an errant strand behind my ear. I was underdressed. There was no doubt about it. My steps slowed.

Before I could fuss over anything else, he was there. His arms wrapped around me in a moment, squashing me into a tight hug.  My face pressed against the stiff fabric of his shirt. I breathed in deeply, his favourite aftershave flooding my senses, while his shirt was coarse against my cheek.

"How are you doing?" Richie asked, pulling away just enough that he could see my face. "Did everything go okay with your sister?"

"Strangely, yes." As his eyes widened, I chuckled. "I know, I can hardly believe it myself. We've agreed to have dinner at some point in the future. It's not much but it's a start. "

Richie's hand reached up to squeeze my shoulder before he pulled away. "I'm so glad for you."

"Yeah, me too." I replied, my lips pulling up into a genuine smile. "Before we sit down, can I just -?"

Richie frowned as I reached up and snagged his collar, pulling him down towards me. His eyes widened briefly, a small gasp escaping his lips.

My cheeks grew warm even as I said, "You've left the tag on and it was sticking out. Are we tucking it in or tearing it off?"

His cheeks flushed red as he averted his eyes. "You can take it off. The tag, I mean."

Grasping his collar in one hand and the tag in the other, I gave a single sharp pull and tugged it free. I folded it before I could see the price and handed it over to him. He tucked it quickly into the pocket of his jeans, his face averted.

"Sorry, I didn't have anything that was – you know – appropriate."

I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head. "Don't worry about it. I'm sure we've all done it at some point in our lives." I pulled out a chair from the table and took a seat as he did the same. "But, if we're being completely honest. I like the way you normally dress."

"I'm not sure what I was thinking." Richie rubbed at the back of his neck before glancing down at his shirt with a strained laugh.

"Wait, I didn't mean it to come out like that. God, why am I always putting my foot in it when I am around you?" I shook my head before reaching out and placing my hand over his. "What I meant to say is that you look good. Really good, if I was being completely honest. The woman on table three rows back clearly agrees. She keeps looking over at you."

He started to turn his head before I nudged him with the toe of my sandal.

"Don't look!" I said, waiting until he was facing me once before I continued. "My point is, you look good. You also look good in what you normally wear. You didn't need to go to any trouble for me."