Breathe

Warnings:
implied Necrophilia
Torture
Murder
Suicide
Character Death

I'm not playing around with warnings here. I mean it.

Also, one of those chapter-song pairings that just fit dramatically well

__

I can't breathe without you but I have to breathe without you but I have to breathe without you but I have to breathe without you
Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry
- Breathe by Taylor Swift

April 1980

It often catches Regulus off guard how empty the house feels now. Marlene and Dorcas left as soon as possible and are currently visiting Dorcas' family down in Congo. Frank, Alice, and Neville are living with Frank's mother now that she got to come back from America. They are currently looking for their own home. So are Lily and Mary, who want to use their family's inheritances to buy a cottage with a large garden near some sleepy little town. While they are searching for the right place, they are still living at the house, but are currently visiting Lily's sister to talk about the inheritance money. With Lucius Malfoy in Azkaban and the divorce on the horizon, Narcissa moved back into Malfoy Manor. She expects to get the estate in the divorce. Why should Draco be raised in any place less extravagant than the manor? Regulus and Kreacher agreed that the elf should go with Narcissa. He doesn't serve her, but Regulus thinks he could be in charge of her household and help with Draco like he used to raise Regulus. He can stop any time he wants to and look to do something else. Peter is living at home, too. His parents survived. He drops in all the time, though. Pandora is back with her mother. Unfortunately, her father was recently killed while trying to catch one of the last remaining Death Eaters.

So, now, it is only Fleamont, James, Remus, Sirius, and Regulus at the house. Actually, Sirius and Remus recently went to visit Remus' father, and just came back. Regulus suddenly remembered what silence sounded like. James keeps saying how strange it was that he missed having all of these people around. As much as Regulus likes most of them, he doesn't miss being constantly around the herd one bit.

James is a good cook. Allegedly. With less people and more time, he has taken to actually cooking meals for them. He cooks them like his mother has taught him.

They are standing in the kitchen and Regulus looks with grief at the amount of red powder James flings into the pan.

"This already smells amazing," Sirius praises when he comes into the kitchen, "Like when Effie used to make it."

Note to self: If date man with Indian family, will have to eat Indian food. Regulus sighs as James throws more things into the pan. Regulus doesn't know what they are. He thinks, at the beginning he put an entire fucking leaf in there.

Sirius smooths his hair back and puts it up into a bun. The deep scars on his neck are clearly visible with the hair out of the way. He never actively tries to hide them. Regulus still covers his mark every day.

"Reggie, you're in for a treat," Sirius promises.

James laughs and kisses Regulus' cheek. "He hates the food."

"I don't hate the food. I just can't eat it."

James shakes his head. "You'll get used to it. It's about time you get introduced to spices."

"Our food at home had spices. Salt and pepper are spices, James."

"You're cute when you're wrong." He kisses his cheek again. Regulus contemplates pushing his face into the curry.

James takes a spoon and dips it into the food. "Try this."

"Absolutely not."

James pouts and looks at him from behind his glasses. He is so stupid. Regulus hates him so much.