Last Day at Camp

Amelia

I get up and sit near Yasmina after talking with Jay, earning myself a glare from the athlete, "Why are you here? I want to be alone, that's why I walked away." I sigh and roll my eyes, responding sharply, "It's just for safety. If a predator comes, none of us should be alone. We don't have to talk if you don't want to." She stares for a moment before sighing and looking away. Well, so much for maybe getting her to talk about Sammy.

I look away too and watch as Brooklynn and Sammy talk and my brother looking at the sunset. I smile as I tune into the end of the two girl's conversation, Brooklynn jumping up onto the bench, "Try to tell me my videos are lame after that, angry internet randos!" I smile wider as I try to contain my laughter at her antics as she sits back down and talks to Sammy again quietly. Jayden must've gotten annoyed because he got up and walked away, going to stand by Darius instead.

I breathe in deeply and go back to watching the sunset quietly, a sort of peace coming over me. Sunsets are beautiful, but I've always preferred the sunrise. I hate getting up early, but sometimes you have to and sunrises make it a little more bearable. My peace is quickly interrupted though as a loud blaring breaks the silence, making me jump. I quickly stand and join Sammy and Brooklynn, running to meet Kenji, Darius and Jayden at the bottom of some stairs.

While running, a loud voice comes over the speakers, "Attention. All park-goers must report to the South Ferry Dock for immediate evacuation. Last ferry departs in two hours." We all meet up, save for Ben and Yaz who are falling behind.

Through our panting, Brooklynn speaks up in annoyance, "That's it? No explanation? That's all we get?" I take a deep breath and respond, "I don't think much explanation is needed. There's all kinds of dinosaurs roaming free, so it makes sense that they're evacuating." She nods in acceptance and Darius' panicked voice cuts through as he claps, "We have to move. The only way we're gonna make it is if we run." He motions us but we don't move, a little unsure. Between Yaz's ankle and Jay's asthma, running may not be the best option.

"Um..." Sammy starts, looking back at Yasmina, "Are we sure that's the best way to get there?" The athlete in question pants as she limps up to us and snaps back, "I'm fine. I've competed with a torn ACL. You should be way more worried about Ben and Bumpy." She motions back to them as they reach us, Ben breathing heavily as he talks to us in panic, "What we should all be worried about is catching a bot out of here and, naturally, we have a problem." He takes a rolled up map out of his fanny pack and lays it out in front of us, pointing as he keeps explaining.

"We're here." He points to the middle and then moves his finger down to the bottom of the map, "The docks are on the southern tip of the island. Even if we ran at peak 'Yaz' speed, there's no way we'd make the last boat out." By now we're all leaning close together to look at the map and Sammy immediately counters, "You don't know that."

Ben responds right after in a matter-of-fact tone, "Yes I do! I memorized the evacuation plan on the ferry ride over." Of course he did. We all groan at this and back up, Darius standing on the bench and attempting to calm everyone, "Okay, so we need another way. Um..." He jumps down and points at the kayaks, "Can we use those somehow? Or send someone to tell the ferry people to wait? Or..."

His brainstorming is cut off by Brooklynn's sarcasm, "Or make a few jetpacks real quick? Oh! We should befriend a unicorn!" She crosses her arms and slumps down on the bench, "Face it, it's hopeless." My stomach drops at her words but I refuse to believe her, "No, we have to make it. We have to go home." Before anyone can answer, a different automated voice cuts through.

"We will be arriving at Main Street, your destination for fine dining and shopping at Jurassic World!" We all perk up and run over to where we heard the voice coming from as it delivers one last line, a line of hope, "Followed by stops at the Jurassic World Lagoon and the South Ferry Dock!"