Secrets

Amelia

I land in the pen, stumbling slightly as I regain my balance. None of the Raptors turn to me as Darius says something about checking the pile of bones for a Raptor skull. I roll my eyes as he says it's from his video game. This is not the time for video games. The first Raptor sniffs the air and turns in my direction, snarling. My mind goes back to the videos I watched that helped me win the trivia contest. Owen Grady posts all his Raptor training videos online and my eyes scan the dinosaur, looking for the marker that'll tell me which one this is. That's when I spot it. The blue stripe that runs along her side allows me to identify this one as Blue. I make eye contact with her and lift my hands in, remembering that as the main command.

"Blue" I start, causing her to lift her head in recognition at her name, "I know you don't know me, but I won't hurt you. I promise." I see her sisters start to approach the two boys and I call their names too. "Delta,Echo,Charlie!" They all turn to me in confusion and I stay still, keeping my hands up in surrender. Suddenly I hear Roxie's voice.

"Come and get it!" And I see some meat drop from the corner of my eye and three of four Raptors run towards it. Blue stayed put and kept her eye contact with me. She took another step towards me but I didn't move.

"Blue" I started again, "I won't hurt you. I'm not a threat. I promise." I see the door from earlier open and Dave drag the two boys out. I take a deep breath before bringing my hands down and jumping to the side as Blue lunges, her jaws clamping on where I was standing a moment before. I sprint to the door, which is thankfully not far because I'd never be able to outrun her, and I slide through the gate before it closes. Blue slams into the gate and I bend down, looking at her as the door also slides closed, trying to catch my breath.

Dave comes over, smelling faintly of vomit, and places a hand on my shoulder. Roxie does the same and they both ask if I'm okay. I smile and nod in response and Roxie walks over to Darius and Kenji, the latter of who is trying to sneak away.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?! You, Darius and Amelia are in big trouble!" Ah, I guess the moment of concern is over. I walk to get in the back of the Jeep where Brooklynn is already sitting as Roxie threatens that we may not even be allowed to remain here. I sit next to Brooklynn with a frown. I can't leave Jay here by himself, no more messing up. The boys get in the back too as we start to move. Brooklynn's voice breaks me from my thoughts.

"Are you okay?" She asks and I nod with a small smile.

"Yeah, just shaken up. Are you? You looked nervous earlier when Dave and Roxie were talking to me." She sighs, "Yeah I guess." Her voice gets a little angrier, "How could you do something like that? You could've been killed."

I frown again, "I know, but they could've been too! I couldn't do nothing. Thank you for getting help, though. I'm not sure I could've lasted much longer. I'm lucky she listened at all." She looks like she's about to ask another question before she's cut off by the Jeep stopping and a still angry Roxie getting out.

"Kenji, Darius and Amelia, go to the common room and wait on the couch. Brooklynn, you come with us." She says as she ,Brooklynn and Dave head in the direction of the bunks. The boys and I walk to the common room and sit down as Kenji starts smacking his lips obnoxiously.

After a few minutes, Darius starts to get annoyed and eventually snaps, "How could you do something so stupid?!" Kenji pops his lips once more before giving Darius a bored look. "I do a lot of stupid things, so you'll have to be more specific." We both look at him like, 'seriously?'

"Girls love a grand gesture, junior." That does it.

"No. That was not a grand gesture. That was plain stupid. Besides, not all girls like grand gestures and it's obvious she's not that into you. If you would've just listened and given her phone back we wouldn't have even been in that situation!" My ranting is cut off by Kenji sighing.