Camp Cretaceous

Amelia

I take a deep breath, smelling the salty air of the surrounding ocean as I stand at the edge of the ferry. I hear Jay shuffle in nervousness next to me so I open my eyes and turn to him.

"Are you okay?" I ask my brother in concern.

"Yeah" he replies, "Just nervous. You never know what could go wrong on an island literally filled with dinosaurs." I smile at him reassuringly and wrap my arm around him, squeezing him gently.

"Don't worry, everyone there is trained to deal with dinosaurs. Nothing bad will happen." He smiles nervously back at me as the ferry comes to a stop at the dock. We climb off first, followed by the other 5 kids who were also on the ferry, and we all line up on the dock. Well, all of us except one boy who's bent over the edge, losing his lunch. I grimace as a man holding a clipboard goes to stand in front of us. I turn to him and take in his appearance. He's wearing tan shorts and a bright red t-shirt with a bandanna wrapped around his head.

"Welcome to Isla Nublar campers!" He began, "You are the chosen few, the first kids in the entire world to ever experience the awesomeness that is Camp Cretaceous. Now I know the trip from the mainland was rough on some, Hello Ben."

We all turn to the puking kid from earlier as he gives a thumbs up and a nervous smile before bending back over and retching more. We turned back to the man as he continued, "But you made it! I'm Dave, head counselor. You heard that right, head honcho, big shot." Dave is cut off by tires screeching. We all turn to look at the Jeep that pulled up and the woman who gets out.

I'll be honest, she's pretty hot. She has black hair that's pulled back into a ponytail and is wearing the same attire as Dave.

"Ah! So sorry I'm late." Oh shit, she's British. That's even more hot. I shake myself from those thoughts as I focus back on what she's saying. "Welcome campers! I'm Roxie, head counselor of Camp Cretaceous!" We all look at Dave as he chuckles nervously.

"Well it's sort of a co-head counselor sort of situation" He tries to explain and Roxie gives him a smug look, "Is it?" She questions playfully. Dave clears his throat as he looks back to us and continues.

"Anyway, some of you won contests to be here, some of you had VIP invites, but for the next two weeks, all of you will be getting the five-star treatment!" I briefly see one of the other girls, who has bright pink hair and is actually kind of cute, pan her phone around.

"As our first campers, we've lined up exclusive behind-the-scenes tours of Jurassic World." Roxie explains and we all cheer, minus Ben, who whines in nervousness, and my brother, who stays silent.

Roxie continues, "As well as kayaking, rock climbing, obstacle courses and of course..." She's cut of by and excited cheer,

"Dinosaurs?!" A dark skinned boy with a yellow jacket exclaims.

"Yes" she looks down at her clipboard, "Darius, plenty of dinosaurs." The kid, Darius, looks down in embarrassment and I smile lightly before turning back to Roxie, "So, ready for an adventure?"

"Absolutely!" The pink haired girl says, "But I'm gonna need that speech a little shorter and really lean into the majesty of this place." Well she may be cute, but she sure is bossy.

Dave smiles awkwardly before changing the subject, "Okay, we're going now. Let's get the eight of you to camp!"

"Uh, there are seven of us." Ben corrects him shyly, causing Dave to look around confused.

"Wait, Dino-nerd, track star, internet girl, twins, barfy, Texas. He's right. Where's eight?"

Roxie looks down at her clipboard and scoffs just as a strong gust of wind starts to blow and a helicopter lands. A man slides the door open and another kid hops out. He's wearing sunglasses, a pink polo shirt and shorts and he screams big ego. Great. He walks over to us and states proudly, "Greetings my dudes, Kenji is here so let the party commence!" I was right, definitely a big ego.