Cattle Drive

Amelia

"We thought it'd be fun. We thought we'd be safe. But we didn't realize the, horror, waiting for us on the island. Claws. Teeth. Screaming. So much screaming." Darius says in a darkened tone. He's telling his scary story around a camp fire, all of us listening intently. Well, most of us. Brooklynn is recording on her phone and Yasmina standing out by the railing. Ben is gripping onto Kenji's arm tightly and Jay is pressed against my side in fear.

"How much screaming?" Ben whispers fearfully and Kenji shushes him, "Shh! He's getting to the good part!" How does he know? I'm fairly certain none of us have heard this story before. I decide to ignore it as Darius continues.

"The T-Rex stalked closer. Her jaws opened wide." Before he could continue, a camera flashing cuts him off and ruined the mood. We all turn to the only place it could've come from and glare at the person responsible. She looks up, oblivious to our annoyance and weakly defends, "For the blog. Keep telling your little story." I roll my eyes and look back to Darius, who put his hood back up to continue.

"So, the T-Rex stal-" He's cut off by the same person, who's still focused on her phone.

"Dang! Out of storage. Wait, I'm sorry, hold on. I just don't wanna delete my selfie on Everest, ya know?" She turns the phone to Sammy and I and I'll admit, it is pretty impressive. Kinda hot. Sammy 'oohs' and I feel bad as Darius sighs.

"Maybe I should start over." I'm about to apologize but Ben cut me off, "No! In fact, you can just stop!" Kenji gives the boy an annoyed look, "Dude chill, he's not even telling the story right now and how is your grip this strong?!" He exclaims, trying to pry Ben off his arm and failing miserably.  Darius tries to start once again.

"So, the T-Rex stalked-" He's cut off again, but by a different voice this time.

"Shouldn't we invite Yasmina over?" The Texan asks, "I bet she'd love this story." Darius groans and flops back onto the bench. I feel bad for him, but the mood was kind of already ruined by Brooklynn's first interruption. Kenji responds, just as annoyed as I felt.

"Maybe she wants to be by herself." He states and Sammy looks at him as though he's just announced he's an alien. She blinks before responding, "I don't understand." Seriously? Even I get it, and I'm the most social person I know. Kenji sighs, "You know how sometimes people just want to be left alone." He emphasizes the last two words, looking at Ben with a pointed expression. I hold back a snicker as I look to see Ben still holding onto Kenji as though he's a life line. Sammy gave a confused look before laughing.

"Kenji you're hilarious. I think she's just shy and doesn't know how to make camp friends!" Before the conversation could continue, thunder crashes loudly, causing Sammy to scream and me to jump. I do not like thunder.

"Maybe we should go inside." I suggest and Ben shouts from halfway up the staircase, "Way ahead of you!" We all get up and quickly run inside and I pause, looking back after noticing two people who didn't follow. I see Darius laying on the bench still and Jay offering him a hand up, smiling. Darius stares for a moment before accepting and they both make their way in. I turn and walk away before they can see me watching and go to sit on the couch. Yasmina sits a second after and rubs her book, muttering something about her pages getting wet. We sit in silence for a moment before Sammy half jumps and half slides onto the couch on the other side of Yasmina and starts speaking loudly.

"You need a friend!" She exclaims, scaring the other girl who responds, "Uh, what?"

"I'm such a ding-dong!" Sammy continues, "You're alone. And when I feel alone, having a friend around sure is nice. I could use a friend, and you probably could, too. So I thought, 'Yasmina needs someone to make the first friendship move,' so, here I am!" I stare in amusement at the two as Yasmina gives a very confused look and hugs her book closer to her chest.