10

POV: Stan

"Dude, are you pinning me against the wall right now?" Kyle says, staring at me.

i step back a little too quickly, feeling embarrassed. "Don't change the subject, Kyle."

"Oh my god.." he groans, then goes back to sit on the counter, next to the sink. "How long will you keep me in here for then this time? It was more fun with Kenny here too, I could listen to your arguing and laugh at how dumb it was."

i roll my eyes and lean on the wall of a bathroom stall, eyeing Kyle suspiciously.

he's hiding something, i know he is, and he's even admitted that he has a secret. but why did he tell Kenny and not me?

"If you just tell me this'll be so much easier. We could make it out for lunch, then attend the rest of school and meet up tomorrow like we planned." i look at Kyle with a smile on my face.

it isn't me keeping us in here, kind of.

all he has to do is just say his little secret and we can continue with our day, it isn't a big deal.

"Yeah, but, like- I- I can't just, tell you?" he responds, gesturing his hands as he fumbles for words.

"Why not?"

"Because- I- ugh, I-" he groans, pulling his knees to his chest and hugging them, almost falling off the counter again in the process.

i look at him in confusion, and slight concern. it never occurred to me that maybe he couldn't tell me his secret - maybe it was personal, or a medical thing, or embarrassing? maybe it was private and not for others to hear, and the only reason Kenny knew was because-

"-I can't tell you because it's about you." Kyle snaps, his head resting on his knees as he confesses.

i pause.

well of all things, that possibility never crossed my mind.

"Is it.. bad?" i mumble, unsure on how to react. i sink to the floor, back still against the stall door as i sit.

"I.. can't tell you."

"Can you hint it to me?" smiling shyly, i look up to him. i don't want him to feel uncomfortable about anything, and if something is bothering him i want him to tell me, i want to help. if it's something i've caused - if i've caused discomfort, or pain in any way, i don't think i could ever forgive myself.

he stays quiet, seeming lost in thought, before he finally speaks up.

"Dude... you kidnapped me."

"Not kidnapping - just... formally leading you away from other civilisation."

"Even so, why should I try to say? You haven't exactly been the most.. mature, about this."

i drop my head down, sighing. "I know, I probably should've handled this another way other than, well, kidnapping you and Kenny."

"Thank you, yes, it's kidnapping."

i look back up at Kyle, who's laughing lightly, hovering a hand to cover his mouth as he does so, and i feel like i can't look away.

something about him just makes me smile, and i can't help but love the simple things about him - his laugh, his smile, the way his face lights up when i walk to him at the bus stop. the way he helps me through my breakups, and is always by my side.

i always wonder why he stays by my side, even during my worst, when i'm an asshole to him, or an emotional wreck. he never leaves me. i really need to ask why after this all blows over.

the school bell rings, bringing me out of thought. i don't remember what the bell is for this time - lunch, another lesson, i don't care. i'm busy.

"Can I have a hint then?" i grin, tilting my head as i look up at him.

he looks back down at me with a stern, but amused expression. "Stan. I can't just.. explain."

"Could you maybe try and hint on why you told Kenny and not me? If you're happy to say."

Kyle stops and thinks, bringing his knees from his chest to dangle off the counter, swinging his legs slightly. "Well, I don't think I would've told Kenny in the first place."

i raise my eyebrows slightly, confused.

if Kenny wasn't supposed to know, then Kyle's secret could be something physical, or word spread that he wasn't supposed to hear.

"How does he know then?"

"He was there when it.. started."

that just confused me more. when what started? is it like a rumor? but then i would've heard. maybe it's something physical then. but what? and about me? what physical thing could Kenny witness that was about me?

"What's.. «it»?" i ask, looking up at Kyle to try and read his expression.

he seems lost in thought as he picks and chooses words to say that wouldn't reveal too much, but would explain enough to know.

"It's like.. a sickness." he looks away, almost with a guilty expression plastered on his face.

why would he be guilty?

"A.. sickness? Why couldn't you tell me then?" i stand up, walking over to Kyle with a feeling of concern.

"Because it- oh, god, I- I can't say."

"Take your time, it's alright." i take a seat next to him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

i want to be there for him, to support him through whatever he's experiencing, just as he always helps me. that's all.

he looks over at me, a tint of blush on his face.

maybe from embarrassment?

or shame?

anxiety?

or.

"Can we.. not talk about this?" he mumbles, almost as a whisper, and i smile in return.

"Okay."

Kyle jumps off the counter, stumbling slightly and grabbing onto the stall wall for stability, which makes me laugh at his lack of balance.

he shoots an amused glare at me as i step off the counter, grinning.

"Can I leave now though?"

"Fine, you can leave. And did you actually have a maths test today?"

"Obviously not. What are you, stupid?"

"Whatever."

i smile, watching him fondly as he walks out the bathroom, waving goodbye.

i wave back, my heart quickening and my face feeling slightly hotter than usual.

strange, i think to myself.

maybe i have a fever.

(AN: YAYY!! youre all gonna hate me for what i have planned.)

[1061 words]