7

Now that Aurora had more or less slipped into her headspace, tackling bedtime was a little more difficult than it had been the night prior. The little one didn't want her teeth brushed. She didn't want to get into her pyjamas and she most definitely did not want to leave Scarlett's arms.

She was all tearful and pouty, so much so that Scarlett ends up settling herself in the rocking chair placed by the window with Aurora clad in no more than her towel curled up on her lap.

Olivia was perched on the footrest just next to them, the little ones pyjamas folded over one of her thighs as her hand rests reassuringly on her wife's bare knee. Aurora was quiet now, cheek pressed against Scarlett's bare chest above her own towel. Soft sniffles were the only sound escaping her, tired eyes drooping as she was rocked back and forth.

"For tonight, let's just get her to sleep before we tackle the pyjama issue. There's no use in upsetting her more." Olivia breaks the silence, her voice no more than a soft whisper, and Scarlett nods her head in agreement as she continues rocking the little one in her arms.

She knew her wife was right. There was no sense pushing an issue that was already resolved. Aurora was content now. She was content laying here in her mama's arms with her mommy close by. They'd wait for her to sleep before getting her ready for bed, and for tonight that would be okay.

She, however, also knew that a routine was needed. With a routine, Aurora would know what to expect and wouldn't get so worked up and overwhelmed over an issue so trivial. She'd simply take comfort in her mothers presence and let them do what they needed to do.

They had plenty of days for that to be put into place however, so tonight they'd leave the little one be. Let her do what she needed to do to be comfortable and if that was simply sat in Scarlett's arms with the woman's skin pressed against her own, then so be it.

"How small do you think she is right now?" Olivia asks as she watches the little one's eyes droop shut for a second before they blearily open again.

It was almost as though she was scared of missing something, and it was a sight that has Olivia smiling tenderly.

Scarlett lightly shrugs her shoulders as she steadily grazes her hand up and down Aurora's back, "I'm not sure," she admits honestly, "she's not very vocal, so that could suggest she's somewhere around eighteen months or so but that could also just be because she's tired. Why'd you ask?" She wonders as she lays her head back against the headrest of the rocking chair.

"I was just wondering whether or not we should put her in a diaper. If she's little and remains little throughout the night, I don't want her to wake up upset with a wet bed." Olivia explains, and Scarlett nods her head in understanding as she leans down to place a tender kiss against the top of Aurora's head.

The little one was more or less conked out now, Scarlett feeling the soft exhales she emits through her nose against the skin of her chest. Her small hand was clinging to the front of her towel, the backs of her fingers pressed against the swell of the woman's breast.

"I think we'll take that chance. I don't want her to wake up big and find out we've put her in a diaper without speaking to her about it first. Besides, there's a waterproof sheet on her bed." Scarlett murmurs as she rises to her feet, and though Olivia frowns a little in concern, she nods her head knowingly and follows her wife over to the bed.

They successfully manage to wrangle their sleeping little one into her pyjamas without rousing her, and whilst Scarlett excuses herself from the room to get herself dressed and ready for bed, Olivia takes her turn to hold Aurora for a little while. She paces around the room with a gentle bounce in her step, humming and keeping the sound deep in her chest as her hand places gentle, steady pats to Aurora's behind.