Chapter 1-Thanks Dusty

"Something is coming. Something hungry for blood" Rosie Henderson told the eager middle school boys who sat around the table beside her. The boys and teenager where sat in the Wheelers basement deep into a game of dungeons and dragons. The older girl was the dungeon master and all the boys were totally engrossed in the campaign she had set up.

"A shadow grows on the wall behind you..swallowing you in darkness...it is almost here" she continued as the four boys leaned forward eager to find out what would happen.

"What is it?" Will asked her curiously.

"What if it's the Demogorgan?" Dustin asked worriedly "Oh Jesus we're so screwed if it's the Demogorgan"

"It's not the Demogorgan" Lucas told his friend confidently before all attention went back to Rosie.

Rosie looked at them all as she got the piece ready to put onto the board. "An army of Troglodytes charge into the chamber!" She exclaimed putting the piece in the middle of the board.

"Troglodytes really Rosie?" Mike asked clearly unimpressed.

"Told ya" Lucas said with a smile to Dustin before the boys began laughing softly.

Rosie looked over her shoulder and the boys noticed this causing their laughter to stop. "Wait...do you hear that sound. Boom....Boom...BOOM!" She slammed her hands down on the table for the last boom making the boys jump.

They all loved how immersive Rosie made the game setting the scene up perfectly to make them feel as if they were really in a dungeon.

"That didn't come from the troglodytes. No that.....that came from something else" she continued as they all leaned in to see what she would throw at them.

"The Demogorgan!" She announced making all the boys groan as she slammed the piece down.

"We're in deep shit" Dustin exclaimed.

"Will your action?" Rosie asked.

"I don't know"

"Fireball him" Lucas suggested.

"But he'd have to roll a 13 or higher" Mike pointed out.

"Too risky cast protection" Dustin added.

"Don't be a pussy. Fireball him" Lucas argued.

"Cast protection" Dustin argued back.

"The Demogorgan is tired of your silly human bickering" Rosie yelled grabbing the boys attention. "It stomps towards you...Boom!"

As Rosie told the boys that the Demogorgan was getting closer to them they still continued to argue about what action Will should take. All five of them were shouting now until Will decided to "Fireball Him!" Will shouted.

This stopped the yelling as they all anxiously watched the dice roll to see if Will would get 13 or higher. The dice rolled off the table and onto the basement floor which caused chaos between the boys. They were all down on their hands and knees frantically looking as Dustin began to pace back and forth.

She heard Mrs Wheeler calling Mike from the kitchen at the top of the basement stairs telling them they had to get going soon. When Mike ran up the stairs to try and reason with his mom Rosie ran up after him.

When she got into the Wheelers kitchen she heard Mike say "But that'll ruin the flow. It took Rosie two weeks to plan the campaign. How were we supposed to know it would take 10 hours?"

"You've been playing for 10 hours?" Mrs Wheeler asked shocked.

"Mike it's okay" Rosie told the young boy whilst putting two hands on his shoulders "We can finish next weekend the flow will be fine"