2-No New Frenemies

Sassy

Finally it was time for lunch. Now I wasn't dumb enough to leave it up to chance, so I brought some leftover spaghetti and garlic bread. I was trading stuff in my locker when someone said:

"Hey."

I turned around and saw what looked like your typical popular white girl you read in books or see on lifetime and Disney channel movies.

Now she wasn't blond as you would think. She actually had long black hair in a fishtail braid and her makeup was beat to the gawds. Like she was on her way to some celebrity event or somethin'. She wore too short blue shorts, and a white strapless bustier. She covered the slutty outfit with a light pink cardigan. She blinged it up with some silver bangles, dangly earrings and a pair of white pumps. She really outdid herself for the first day of school.

"Wassup?" I replied.

"You're the new girl right?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure."

"Oooooooh, tenacious. I like it! I'm Miranda."

"I'm Sassy."

"I noticed."

"No hun, that's my name."

"Even better. Why don't you come have lunch with me and my friends? We could get to know each other a little bit." She had the biggest, cheesiest smile I had ever seen. How could I turn that down?

"No thanks." Oh yeah. Like that.

Her smile fell a little. And as if she had a damn epiphany her brightness turned back up, even a little higher.

"C'mon. You're new and don't know anyone. Do you really wanna find a secluded spot and sit alone for the rest of the year?"

Honestly that sounded good to me, but I promised my momma that I would try to be good at this new school so I just accepted.

"Fine, I'll go."

"Great! Follow me." She sad happily and started walking down the hallway.

I hurried up and got my food out and my books in my locker. I practically chased after her so I wouldn't get lost. For a girl in heels the bitch was fast.

"So how do you like the school so far?" She asked me.

"It's 'ight. Nothing too special. Better than my old school in a way. The teachers here really care about our education."

"They really do. Lots of folks who come from here grow up to be doctors and lawyers and whatnot."

"My moms would be happy to hear that. One of her children becoming a surgeon or some shit."

"Have a big family?"

"Not really. Two big brothers and a little sister."

"Sounds big to me."

"Shit, not where I come from. That's like the minimum. Never met too many single children families."

"So where are you from?"

"You ask a lot of questions you know that? Someone would think you the police."

"One day. My father's the captain of our police department."

"Well damn, now I have to stay away from you."

"Don't worry. He lets me get away with a lot."

"I bet." I said to myself. She didn't hear me.

"Stick with me and you'll be safe."

We finally arrived at the cafeteria. It was loud as hell too. Kinda like my old school, and I got a lil' sad thinking about it.